• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Moorland Fires

Beats me, WW. I'm a short hop from the Roaches in the Peak District that were ablaze last year. It was very sad walking over there, was like a black desert. Even worse this time because of the ground nesting birds at risk.

I might add, those of us who can walk these moors, it's worthwhile taking a bag and keeping an eye open for dropped and broken bottles. Glass is often a cause of these fires.

Talking to a chum in SE Wales it seems burning moorland is very popular with many of the local youngsters, well, everyone should have a passtime :rolleyes:

Shouldn’t be forgetting that a summer burn, usually through lightning strikes, is often an essential part of a moorland eco system, we don’t like it as it ruins the view and can endanger lives and property but it’s been happening for thousands of years.

Back