• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Mora Companion sheath lefty conversion.

GaryHW

Very Talkative
Being a lefty in a right handed world is a pain, especially where knives are concerned because most sheaths are for right handers.

I recently acquired a stainless steel Companion with a mind to wearing it as a necker under my PFD while paddle boarding, of course a stainless pocket knife would do but when one hand is needed to hold something a folder can be a issue. At least that's my excuse.

Mora sheaths are molded and right handed so I wanted to make it left handed and after a bit of thought decided I also wanted to add a few "survival" items as well.

The idea I had was to use a few bits of old leather to make a loop for the sheath, cut off the horrible plastic belt clip, turn the sheath around and hey presto.

IMG_20230408_194527.jpg

IMG_20230409_182232.jpg
IMG_20230409_195443.jpg

IMG_20230409_202312.jpg
IMG_20230409_212849.jpg

So cut and stitched the loop a mil or two smaller than the sheath and dyed it with coffee and toasted sesame seed oil before soaking in warm water and forcing it on. As the leather dried it constricted and dried tight to the throat. Added puri-tabs, fish hooks with lures and a canvas needle to the back of the sheath then whips the lot with tarred nylon bank line. The para cord neck loop was hung with a fire steel and a whistle with a little Silva compass to make the whole thing a mini survival kit.

Being a Mora it also means I can swap out the Stainless model for a carbon one when doing anything bushcrafty if I want.

Overall Im really happy with the end result, now just need some nice Cornish weather so I can get out on the Tamar or Lynher or some such and enjoy!.

Being a lefty in a right handed world is a pain, especially where knives are concerned because most sheaths are for right handers.

I recently acquired a stainless steel Companion with a mind to wearing it as a necker under my PFD while paddle boarding, of course a stainless pocket knife would do but when one hand is needed to hold something a folder can be a issue. At least that's my excuse.

Mora sheaths are molded and right handed so I wanted to make it left handed and after a bit of thought decided I also wanted to add a few "survival" items as well.

The idea I had was to use a few bits of old leather to make a loop for the sheath, cut off the horrible plastic belt clip, turn the sheath around and hey presto.

View attachment 118367
View attachment 118368View attachment 118369

View attachment 118370View attachment 118371

So cut and stitched the loop a mil or two smaller than the sheath and dyed it with coffee and toasted sesame seed oil before soaking in warm water and forcing it on. As the leather dried it constricted and dried tight to the throat. Added puri-tabs, fish hooks with lures and a canvas needle to the back of the sheath then whips the lot with tarred nylon bank line. The para cord neck loop was hung with a fire steel and a whistle with a little Silva compass to make the whole thing a mini survival kit.

Being a Mora it also means I can swap out the Stainless model for a carbon one when doing anything bushcrafty if I want.

Overall Im really happy with the end result, now just need some nice Cornish weather so I can get out on the Tamar or Lynher or some such and enjoy!.
Nice mod Gary

Back