• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

More of a Police state

38thfoot

Quite Addicted
My DNA is in the system and has been for about a decade; we did it voluntarily to enable body ID and spare families the requirement of being sampled. Can’t imaging the MOD have disposed of it (or remember which biscuit tin in the desk draw it’s kept in !!!)

I’ve not been fitted up yet😅

Yes invasive, to have your fingerprints taken and used against you before being arrested and without being charged is a huge departure from current policing procedures, who is to say the the samples and records of innocent people won't be retained unlawfully.
It is a fact that my finger prints were still on file seven years after they were taken to exclude my prints after my home was burgled, in fact those prints should not have been retained beyond the need to exclude them from the investigation. The fact that they were held so long was an abuse of my legal rights.
Just to be clear, I have no criminal record.

Baytree

Extremely Talkative
I've not got a huge problem with this if i'm honest especially with regards to crime. With regards to private money making companies holding dna i'm really not sure probably because i don't really see what exactly they do with it or more importantly ( to them at least) how they make money out of it. A corporation knowing what papers i read , what holidays i take or knowing my ethenticity doesn't mean they'll get any of my money and if they sell that data to another corporation it's still not directly affecting me.
One application of dna sampling i have read about being used or looked at ( not quite sure which) is in banking. We've all got individual genetic information as we have with fingerprints and cards that can't be used by anyone else should cut down fraudulent use and assuming it all works it's hard to argue against such a use?
As i say i'm a little in the dark about just how data is used or misused which is probably why i've not this on the top of my "to worry about"pile.

Joecole

Staff member
I've not got a huge problem with this if i'm honest especially with regards to crime. With regards to private money making companies holding dna i'm really not sure probably because i don't really see what exactly they do with it or more importantly ( to them at least) how they make money out of it. A corporation knowing what papers i read , what holidays i take or knowing my ethenticity doesn't mean they'll get any of my money and if they sell that data to another corporation it's still not directly affecting me.
One application of dna sampling i have read about being used or looked at ( not quite sure which) is in banking. We've all got individual genetic information as we have with fingerprints and cards that can't be used by anyone else should cut down fraudulent use and assuming it all works it's hard to argue against such a use?
As i say i'm a little in the dark about just how data is used or misused which is probably why i've not this on the top of my "to worry about"pile.
As I see it my DNA and finger prints are of absolutely no use to anyone except the police and a coroner. Let's be honest all these private companies are just storage facility

Baytree

Extremely Talkative
Let's be honest all these private companies are just storage facility
I can understand to a point how market research can help companies to target advertising . No point trying to sell shampoo and combs to baldies for instance. But what i don't seem to get is how storing my dna can make anybody any money which after all is the defacto position of any private company. Still makes a good conspiracy if nothing else . If i'm wrong i'm happy to be set right.

Joecole

Staff member
I can understand to a point how market research can help companies to target advertising . No point trying to sell shampoo and combs to baldies for instance. But what i don't seem to get is how storing my dna can make anybody any money which after all is the defacto position of any private company. Still makes a good conspiracy if nothing else . If i'm wrong i'm happy to be set right.
Just remember, big mother is washing you

Woodlander

Site Manager
Staff member
It's not the fact that a don't mind the police using this machine by all means do so. In this country we are supposed to be policed by consent, if an officer stops me on the street and asks for my "details" i have the right to remain silent, i do not have to give my details.

can they use this machine without consent?? If i say no will i be arrested? and for what?
Policed by consent when the police were run by queen and country. The police are now a registered company so you can always turn around and legally refuse to do business with them anyway. I for one agree with it. The less baddies out on the street the better.

Harry Palmer

Very Addicted
The tin foil hat brigade argue that personal DNA data can be used by medical insurance companies, you have a gene for dick rot and you won't be covered when your dick drops off sort of thing. These days you leave a medical condition off your travel insurance, go down with that condition on holiday and your not covered.

Just set aside the tinfoil hats and paranoia for a moment. It is impossible to predict the consequences of submitting your data and a DNA sample to a private company and their "research partners", I personally choose not to do so.

Now doubt this chap is not all there and not the nicest person but, " A bladed article in a public place"

Sometimes you have to trust the authorities, the guy has been done for carrying chibs previously, he was caught again with some bollox story about cutting roses. Sometimes you have to weigh up the probabilities.