• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

More raised beds

Joecole

Very Obsessed
Living on the clay I decided that raised beds are definitely the way forward so I've got another two to the five I already have and they will predominantly be used for carrots beets and other small root veg. The shallots and garlic that I put in back in the Autumn are growing well and promise to give a good crop.
The growing medium I use is good quality top soil mixed with home made compost and well rotted horse manure and allows me to crop more intensively than planting straight into the ground.

With the carrots I would be afraid a bit.

May be its better to grow them in a mixture of compost and a lot of sand.
Perhaps you should try both to see the differences.

With the carrots I would be afraid a bit.

May be its better to grow them in a mixture of compost and a lot of sand.
Perhaps you should try both to see the differences.
I do use compost Erbs and with carrots not to much fresh manure so making sure there is not to many forked roots

No reason why you can't Jeff, just start on a smaller scale

Growing vegetables isn't so complicated.

Just devide your Land in 7 equal large parts, the best is 1,20 m wide, it doesn't matter how long, and grow the vegetables in rows, the best is orientated from north to south.
Dont put anything on the walking ways, just the normal earth should be there. Make them around 30 to 40 cm and set pegs or stones to mark the end if your parts. It is important that this borders stay for the next years where they are.

(You could reserve additional 2 Parts for a movable chicken cage. That would be very, very intelligent! But if they are able to jump out, they will cause a lot of damage very soon. Than you would need a cage in the size of 1 part, behind it one part stays free for a year. here you collect you compost on. Than follows cabbage on this part in the next year.)

On the package of the seed is printed which distance the rows must have, and the distance of the plants in the row. The distances between the rows may be a bit larger too, that doesn't matter. But try to do it exactly how it is printed.

Keep the space between your plants free from any weeds. Give the plants water if it didn't rain for a week.

Every part of 120cm is divided in for example 4 times 30 cm rows. Rows and the dividing walking pathes are orientated in the same direction.

Never trow earth from one part to the other to avoid illnesses.
Every part is reserved for one FAMILY of plants. Every year the system must rotate one step like a paternoster elevator.
Beans stand next to carbide and the next year the carbidge comes on the old bean part. (If you have the chickens in between, put the beans somewhere else in the system, it doesn't matter where)

Carrots have to stand in stripes with the ognion family on a mixed field.

Tomatoes live under a transparent roof and stay there. They do not rotate necessarily, but they can do it too. They never should become whet. Only the roots should get enough water.

But it is better to let them in a glas house or under a transparent roof in their special corner.
They should stand far away from the potatoes and 7 Years long mustn't stand potatoes where potatoes or tomatoes had been. That is incredible important!

Around of this you grow the berries, than comes a way than herbs around the vegetables.
Avoid shadow of trees for your vegetables if you don't live in the south of France or in Italy.
Berries have no problem with shadow, but love the sun too.
But you can grow them around the apple trees. Which apple and other trees you should plant together you should ask a professional gardener in your area. If you choose the wrong combination it is possible that you get bad or no results.
Learn how to cut the trees properly every year. Look for an old gardener who can teach it to you.

If you try it like that you have good chances to get good results from the beginning and over the years.

Ask professional organic bio gardeners which books you should buy and read.
99% of the gardening books contain nothing than nonsens.

Growing vegetable isn't an opinion of some grandpas who want to write a nice looking book. Growing Vegetables is a science, taught in universities. But the grandpa in the end of your village may be very good informed about what works well in your area.

Every corner has its own weather and earth. That may change every 20 meters.

The science is every where equal, but the ground and weather is different. In front of or behind a hedge you would have very different results! (Out of the shadow of the hedge, surrounded by a hedge usually you will have better results. That's why you should surround your vegetables with berries.)

But that's meant for flat country! If your ground has an upper and lower part on a hill let several exits for cold air in the lower hedge!

That's the most important about gardening.
The rest is learning by doing.

Raised beds usually aren't necessary.
But of course, they are comfortable for aged people.
If you are young, just start on the flat ground!

Growing vegetables isn't so complicated.

Just devide your Land in 7 equal large parts, the best is 1,20 m wide, it doesn't matter how long, and grow the vegetables in rows, the best is orientated from north to south.
Dont put anything on the walking ways, just the normal earth should be there. Make them around 30 to 40 cm and set pegs or stones to mark the end if your parts. It is important that this borders stay for the next years where they are.

(You could reserve additional 2 Parts for a movable chicken cage. That would be very, very intelligent! But if they are able to jump out, they will cause a lot of damage very soon. Than you would need a cage in the size of 1 part, behind it one part stays free for a year. here you collect you compost on. Than follows cabbage on this part in the next year.)

On the package of the seed is printed which distance the rows must have, and the distance of the plants in the row. The distances between the rows may be a bit larger too, that doesn't matter. But try to do it exactly how it is printed.

Keep the space between your plants free from any weeds. Give the plants water if it didn't rain for a week.

Every part of 120cm is divided in for example 4 times 30 cm rows. Rows and the dividing walking pathes are orientated in the same direction.

Never trow earth from one part to the other to avoid illnesses.
Every part is reserved for one FAMILY of plants. Every year the system must rotate one step like a paternoster elevator.
Beans stand next to carbide and the next year the carbidge comes on the old bean part. (If you have the chickens in between, put the beans somewhere else in the system, it doesn't matter where)

Carrots have to stand in stripes with the ognion family on a mixed field.

Tomatoes live under a transparent roof and stay there. They do not rotate necessarily, but they can do it too. They never should become whet. Only the roots should get enough water.

But it is better to let them in a glas house or under a transparent roof in their special corner.
They should stand far away from the potatoes and 7 Years long mustn't stand potatoes where potatoes or tomatoes had been. That is incredible important!

Around of this you grow the berries, than comes a way than herbs around the vegetables.
Avoid shadow of trees for your vegetables if you don't live in the south of France or in Italy.
Berries have no problem with shadow, but love the sun too.
But you can grow them around the apple trees. Which apple and other trees you should plant together you should ask a professional gardener in your area. If you choose the wrong combination it is possible that you get bad or no results.
Learn how to cut the trees properly every year. Look for an old gardener who can teach it to you.

If you try it like that you have good chances to get good results from the beginning and over the years.

Ask professional organic bio gardeners which books you should buy and read.
99% of the gardening books contain nothing than nonsens.

Growing vegetable isn't an opinion of some grandpas who want to write a nice looking book. Growing Vegetables is a science, taught in universities. But the grandpa in the end of your village may be very good informed about what works well in your area.

Every corner has its own weather and earth. That may change every 20 meters.

The science is every where equal, but the ground and weather is different. In front of or behind a hedge you would have very different results! (Out of the shadow of the hedge, surrounded by a hedge usually you will have better results. That's why you should surround your vegetables with berries.)

But that's meant for flat country! If your ground has an upper and lower part on a hill let several exits for cold air in the lower hedge!

That's the most important about gardening.
The rest is learning by doing.

Raised beds usually aren't necessary.
But of course, they are comfortable for aged people.
If you are young, just start on the flat ground!
sound advice Erbs

Most people start somehow without thinking about illnesses and a lot of other things.

The system I described avoids a lot of heavy faults. Even if people have no idea,what's exactly going on.

If a beginner followed this simple rules, he doesn't cause damage to his land and usually will have good success from the beginning and over years.

By the way: It's a good Idea to collect on Part Nr 8 the compost. 120cm wide, 120cm high, it doesn't matter how long.
The earth gets a rest. And 4 parts at both sides of a main way are symmetrical. That's a good garden design.

Most people start somehow without thinking about illnesses and a lot of other things.

The system I described avoids a lot of heavy faults. Even if people have no idea,what's exactly going on.

If a beginner followed this simple rules, he doesn't cause damage to his land and usually will have good success from the beginning and over years.
but Erbs, what beginners must understand is that no matter how expert you there will be time when you have failures

Reactions: Bam
We're in the process of
but Erbs, what beginners must understand is that no matter how expert you there will be time when you have failures

Yup, as I've said, I'm not the expert but the missus is pretty good and sometimes.... sh1t happens and you don't have a good crop of one thing or another. Last summer was brilliant for sitting in a beer garden watching da foozbaal but gash for onions.

We're in the process of

Yup, as I've said, I'm not the expert but the missus is pretty good and sometimes.... sh1t happens and you don't have a good crop of one thing or another. Last summer was brilliant for sitting in a beer garden watching da foozbaal but gash for onions.
Funny that, last year was brilliant for onions but then I do only grow ENGLISH onions

• Haha
Reactions: Bam
Back