• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

More wood carving tools.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Fellow wood carvers.

There is nothing like hacking and chipping away at a lump of wood while sat by the fire.....to pass the time and chill.....(Not everyones idea of fun :whistle: )
Trying to shape and whittle a stick or lump of wood into something recognisable.......even useful :D
Have the normal carving knives and the spoon knife which work well......but want to add a little bit more to the kit without breaking the bank.

Had a look around and came across this little set.......hoping it will make life easier for spoons/bowls and Kuskas when dishing out.

May be added to the Christmas wish list......wellll......you never know :sneaky::rofl:

@G1ZmO

Hope Santa gets your list sorted Paul :D

I need to order in some more sharpening compound to keep the edges keen.......running out.:eek:
I'm using "Flexcut Gold compound" on a leather strop.....no need for any kind of stones....if you keep the edges well maintained.
Lots of other compounds out there.....but I prefer this particular one......easy to apply and clean to use.:thumbsup:

Just a thought mate :)

Reactions: Bam
Got this set of the net for less than 20 quid,not bad for the money. B7CB913D-AE8D-400C-90E9-1DEE4ED63B66.jpeg

Well.... Santa came good and dropped of the wood carving tools I was looking at.
To be fair for the price that ain't at all bad and will be a useful addition for the larger projects.

IMG_20200102_123359.jpg

Got my small strop out and loaded it with Flexcut compound.

IMG_20200102_123406.jpg

Run all of the tool edges over it..... So all ready to use now.

Like the look of the bill👍🏻. So what the first project?

Have you used the flexcut compound before bill?

Hi Mark :)

They a'int to bad at all mate.

The first project?... was a walking stick I made for Lorraine.......but will more than likely be a few spatula's and spoons....maybe a bowl/dish...... kuska.....pretty much the norm.
This is where the larger hand tools will come into their own for me.... especially for dishing out the above.
I have had a go with a hooked dish knife but found it a bit under parr and too flexible.....personal thing.......still handy for finishing off and rounding though.

I would like to get into the Wood-spirit and figurine side of things too......even down to painting them.
That is why I bought the small detailing knife.......pretty much all I will use on the smaller more detailed work. :thumbsup:

I have been using the "Flexcut Compound" on a leather strop for a few years mate.....mostly for my Leatherwork blades and pocket knives.
There are others out there like Smurf-poo and "Jewellers rouge" etc.....that I have also tried.....but I like the "Flexcut more".....I found it to be cleaner and easier to use.
Also found that a few swipes over the strop on a regular basis while working keeps the blades keen......with little need for any stones.

In the beginnings I will be using the likes of Pine and birch.......while learning.....but will need to source some Bass wood or Lime which seems to be popular with the more accomplished and practiced carvers.

Already got hold of some safety gloves and thumb stools.....need to renew the...."ahem" :rolleyes:...... First aid kit though :whistle: :rofl:

Happy days mate :thumbsup:

Are you thinking of having a go at carving too?

Last edited:
Bill, I have the same set of tools which I got at Christmas but I've never used a strop or compound. I'll need to check YT on how to do this and/or maybe it's something you'd consider using your GoPro for, a wee demonstration?

@G1ZmO

Hi Paul :)

Here is a video that I found very useful mate...... And far better than anything I could produce at the moment.
The block is very useful for the finer detailing chisels but also helps with the sets we are talking about.
Good demo and explanation here for using the strops and compounds.

This is pretty much what I use at the moment mate.

IMG_20200103_095412.jpg
IMG_20200103_093956.jpg

The picture shows how the compound removes the grind scratches and leaves a nice polished and sharp edge.
Still more work to do on them.....but its a start.

Hope it helps buddy :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Forgot to mention Paul.

The Straight knife strop is very easy to make for yourself.
If you want to make one up.....PM me your address and I will send you a piece of leather to stick on the wood....if you need a bit :thumbsup: :)
The beauty of all these bits 'n' bobs is.....they are small and easy to throw in the backpack.

The little honing block is ideal for smaller Palm detailing Chisels too.

IMG_20200103_102207.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mark :)

They a'int to bad at all mate.

The first project?... was a walking stick I made for Lorraine.......but will more than likely be a few spatula's and spoons....maybe a bowl/dish...... kuska.....pretty much the norm.
This is where the larger hand tools will come into their own for me.... especially for dishing out the above.
I have had a go with a hooked dish knife but found it a bit under parr and too flexible.....personal thing.......still handy for finishing off and rounding though.

I would like to get into the Wood-spirit and figurine side of things too......even down to painting them.
That is why I bought the small detailing knife.......pretty much all I will use on the smaller more detailed work. :thumbsup:

I have been using the "Flexcut Compound" on a leather strop for a few years mate.....mostly for my Leatherwork blades and pocket knives.
There are others out there like Smurf-poo and "Jewellers rouge" etc.....that I have also tried.....but I like the "Flexcut more".....I found it to be cleaner and easier to use.
Also found that a few swipes over the strop on a regular basis while working keeps the blades keen......with little need for any stones.

In the beginnings I will be using the likes of Pine and birch.......while learning.....but will need to source some Bass wood or Lime which seems to be popular with the more accomplished and practiced carvers.

Already got hold of some safety gloves and thumb stools.....need to renew the...."ahem" :rolleyes:...... First aid kit though :whistle: :rofl:

Happy days mate :thumbsup:

Are you thinking of having a go at carving too?

A need to stock back up on plasters before I have another go 😆

it’s a very chilling hobby bill, sitting By the fire carving away sounds blissful to me, fancy making a kuska again also 👍🏻

going to get myself some flexcut to go with that piece of leather you gave me a while ago.. still haven’t put it onto a piece of wood to make a strop😋 must get the finger out on that one.

@G1ZmO

Hi Paul :)

Here is a video that I found very useful mate...... And far better than anything I could produce at the moment.
The block is very useful for the finer detailing chisels but also helps with the sets we are talking about.
Good demo and explanation here for using the strops and compounds.

This is pretty much what I use at the moment mate.

View attachment 20056View attachment 20055

The picture shows how the compound removes the grind scratches and leaves a nice polished and sharp edge.
Still more work to do on them.....but its a start.

Hope it helps buddy :thumbsup:

A like the field strops bill👍🏻

A need to stock back up on plasters before I have another go 😆

it’s a very chilling hobby bill, sitting By the fire carving away sounds blissful to me, fancy making a kuska again also 👍🏻

going to get myself some flexcut to go with that piece of leather you gave me a while ago.. still haven’t put it onto a piece of wood to make a strop😋 must get the finger out on that one.

Don't be too hard on yourself Mark......I mean......it was only 18 months ago I sent you the leather :rofl: :):p:p

Back