• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Morning coffee

You can get paper filters for about 4 - 5 pence each off amazon (if you buy 100 at a time), Aldi filter coffee is pretty good and cheap so I’m sure you could make your own coffee dogs (which is what I am going to call them from now on) for about 10p which is cheaper than buying ready made ones for about 17-18p each.

the Pour some coffee grounds into a filter then tie top with string effectively making the equivalent of a tea bag. You can also add the amount of sugar that you take before tying the bag.Saves weight

Cheers, I've got some Douwe Egburts sachets I use when away although I've seen various pots and grinders that appeal, especially for the shorter walks.

IFFF!? You can drag me away from my coffee machine then it’s Jetboil / Aeropress combination for my daily fix. The Jetboil’s the only stove I’ve found to be quick enough and to be honest I reckon the Aeropress can match the coffee from the bean to cup machine in the kitchen 🙂👍

Might take one of my more generic insulated mug with a press for this weekend, purely for trial purposes I might have to get a little squffy to see how a good shot of real coffee makes... I'm a bloody trouper. 😎

Usually Ortlieb products are water proof.

This here isn't.

It works very well. It has to be used with normal paper filters.

And this here works without paper filters.

The first stays clean, the second avoids rubbish.

So far I am informed the optimal distance between spiritus burner and pot is TWO CENTIMETRES !

I guess with really dry thin pine twigs (1mm to 2mm) the water will boil faster than with spiritus. You just need to make that box really full.

Ultra light is this:

Or that:

The only question stays:
How to make a tripod from a 120cm cotton lace and three twigs?

Because most people don't know it, they sell hobo stoves and folding bush boxes.

Does it come from America?
Hobo stove? Created by land workers?

And what's about good old british traditions?

Convenience and speed probably the best reasons for a stove/burner. You don’t always have access to suitable sticks for a tripod; from assembly to boiling water was probably about five minutes max ( possibly quicker) with the spirit burner, the stove acted as a wind shield and everything was relatively clean with no real ground sign.

Making a ground fire and tripod would not deliver the same quick unobtrusive results.

I just put ground coffee into a cup, pour on hot water. Leave it 5 mins and all the grounds sink to the bottom leaving perfectly drinkable coffee above, Just drink down to the grounds...

No kit needed.

Last edited:
Likewise but I put the coffee in the Trangia kettle to settle then pour. I do take the French press if my wife is with me so that I don't contaminate her tea water with my coffee. :whistle:

Back