• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Morning ramble

Gulfalan67

Very Addicted
We've been working pretty hard the boy and I, so I suggest to the wife we take a pre-brekkie stroll up one of my favourite creek systems on our western boundary. Despite recent showers on our side of the range it was still pretty dry over that way, with only isolated rock pools. In just six weeks or so the channel will be a thundering, churning torrent, so I wanted a quick stroll to check things out along the creek bed.
IMG-20201011-WA0005.jpg

Looking up the dry creek bed
IMG-20201011-WA0006.jpg

We snapped a pic of our shadows and the boy jumped into the pool ( any excuse!) We followed him in.
IMG-20201011-WA0001.jpg

Back up on the escarpment looking out across the creek

Alan

We've been working pretty hard the boy and I, so I suggest to the wife we take a pre-brekkie stroll up one of my favourite creek systems on our western boundary. Despite recent showers on our side of the range it was still pretty dry over that way, with only isolated rock pools. In just six weeks or so the channel will be a thundering, churning torrent, so I wanted a quick stroll to check things out along the creek bed.
View attachment 22831
View attachment 22832
We snapped a pic of our shadows and the boy jumped into the pool ( any excuse!) We followed him in.
View attachment 22833

Alan

Thanks for the photos Alan, they bring back one of my first impressions of Australia. Distance!
My first time ashore was in the Port of Fremantle, Western Australia. I was 17 and the other Deck Boy was Robbie Hunter from Kirkcudbright, Scotland. His sister was married to an Aussie and she arrived at Fremantle Docks in a Holden car to collect us and take us for the weekend to the farm where she lived at a place called Bullfinch, which was something like 250 miles away!!

We drove for seemingly endless miles along a main road and everything, to me at least, seemed almost overwhelming. The red soil, Kangaroos by the roadside, barren scrub covered land and then miles and miles of Wheat fields stretching to the horizon. I had never seen land distance like it, almost unimaginable to a teenage European.

It seems strange the things remembered from long ago, but the sheer empty space as far as could be seen has stuck with me all these years, and the other thing I remember was that on the back seat of the saloon car was a big plastic Jerry can of water, which I wondered about until we had left the outskirts of Fremantle behind..

Thank you for sharing that with us Alan, that is a beautiful place to live. I can totally understand why you've made your lives there.

Do you get any fish in those pools Alan

Hi Joe

Fisherman eh? This high up the system (section in picture) only little Gobis and mini catfish. As long as your pinkie. The pools are too small.

But a couple of kilometres downstream we have much larger permanent waterholes with bream and perch. Little crocodiles chase them around and keep them moving....There are also some interesting blind cave fish. My wife and I collected some samples for the Northern Territory museum.

awesome place to roam! big TY for the pics. 👍 always wanted to go, haven't quite made it yet.
i follow a u-tuber channel, Scotty's Gone Walkabouts, who feeds the dream. does great vids if you're into the vicarious thing.

Thanks for the photos Alan, they bring back one of my first impressions of Australia. Distance!
My first time ashore was in the Port of Fremantle, Western Australia. I was 17 and the other Deck Boy was Robbie Hunter from Kirkcudbright, Scotland. His sister was married to an Aussie and she arrived at Fremantle Docks in a Holden car to collect us and take us for the weekend to the farm where she lived at a place called Bullfinch, which was something like 250 miles away!!

We drove for seemingly endless miles along a main road and everything, to me at least, seemed almost overwhelming. The red soil, Kangaroos by the roadside, barren scrub covered land and then miles and miles of Wheat fields stretching to the horizon. I had never seen land distance like it, almost unimaginable to a teenage European.

It seems strange the things remembered from long ago, but the sheer empty space as far as could be seen has stuck with me all these years, and the other thing I remember was that on the back seat of the saloon car was a big plastic Jerry can of water, which I wondered about until we had left the outskirts of Fremantle

Hey Sax

I love reading your tales. Ever written your memoirs of a life at sea? I also began my travels at a tender ago, so recall what its like to be a young bloke exposed to very different environments and the lasting impressions it leaves with you.

Incidentally today Freemantle is a centre for hipster culture with craft breweries, coffee culture and the arts scene. You wouldnt recognise it from the grubby working port you landed at. 🤣

Aussie is no different to UK. Most folks live in cities and suburbs and their daily life experience is like most people in the developed world. The number of people living remote out in the bush on the land has dwindled with 'urban drift'. There are far fewer people out bush today than there were 50 or 100 years ago.

Its a real problem. Nobody's managing the land anymore. Hence bushfires and other land degradation problems. The government now hands out visas to anybody willing to 'have a go' out bush. Ironically that leads to places like Darwin in the Territory filling up with families from the subcontinent, who are the very last people likely to settle out bush...🤣

But hey, more elbow room for the few of us out here!

Alan

That truly looks like a great place for a stroll, at any time, no doubt it has its troubles like many places, it's not all paradise all the time, still on my hit list of countries to visit, not the touristy but though, outback will do me thank you.

I love reading your tales. Ever written your memoirs of a life at sea?

Ha! My Granddaughter presented me with a nice bound book a few years ago, Alan. I opened it to find it was completely blank inside and then I saw on the first page the word 'Journal' a gentle hint, as she keeps suggesting getting down to writing about my travels.
A couple of years previously she had met me at the Airport when I flew back from New York with just the clothes I was wearing and a small 'Grab' bag with all my worldly goods inside.
I had managed to stuff my boat onto a reef in the Bahamas in a Tropical Revolving Storm, survived to get onto the Reef itself and been lifted off by the excellent US Coast Guard out of San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Apart from, "Grandad are you alright?" the next thing was " You must write about this Grandad" ..
anim_59.gif
anim_59.gif

Attachments

• anim_59.gif
    anim_59.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 69
  • anim_59.gif
    anim_59.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 11
  • anim_59.gif
    anim_59.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 12
View attachment 22831
View attachment 22832
View attachment 22833

Alan
That looks so much like my childhood in Nigeria................thank you:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ha! Ha!......all over......born in the south (Lagos), but lived all over, depending on where stationed. The North was a favourite to me then........😊

Brilliant childhood, just wondering around the bush, collecting snakes or whatever (!!) and shooting my catapult at the crocs. whilst fishing for tilapia ....why????? :rofl:

Back