• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Morning Stroll.

Forager

Slightly Addicted
I thought I would share some pictures of my morning stroll. It's a place called Brusselton Woods which is steeped in history as this has a connection with Shildon railway.
I was hoping to see some early spring flowers in bloom. I came across an interesting fungi which I have never seen before.
20210228_085237.jpg
20210228_085219.jpg
20210228_084839.jpg
20210228_084849.jpg
20210228_085028.jpg
20210228_085039.jpg
20210228_092430.jpg

Not too sure that Fungi is Cramp Ball ( King Alfred's Cakes) so named because it is usually Cake or Bread Roll shape in appearance to most people.
DSCF4355.JPG

That one looks like it could..possibly..be something like this called Oak Curtain Crust in a state of decay or even Jelly Ear which goes dark and slimey when decaying...Not an expert of Fungi and I could be talking total Billhooks, but I've never seen King Alfred's Cakes that shape before...Perhaps he forgot to put yeast in them...🤣

Black fungi.jpg

Healthy Jelly Ear before it dies and goes black and 'orrible ( years ago it was always Jews Ear before PC .........allelujah...🤣
jelly_ears_1.jpg

Hi Sax thanks for the information. I must admit the Jelly dad is more prevalent in these woods, so I think you could be right. :)

I'm a fan of Cramp Balls, my wood in Sussex had quite a crop. They favour Dead or dieing Ash Trees. I often used to chuck a handful into the fire embers before going to sleep and more often than not there was a glowing cake next morning for a quick fire start.👍
DSCF4309.JPG

Never heard of it..but good shot Annie, I just looked it up, that's the suspect I reckon. :D

Back