• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

morning

Sunny here, guests have just left and I have the day to myself. While I was clearing out the garage I found an old colonial era Kukri blade dating from before the Great War. (Not your average Indian tourist tatt) I may try and start to make a handle for it if I can do it without too much fuss...
Obviously it will look modern but that can't be helped.

Drizzling here and I've got a shed to build today. Sucks to me and all that. :crying:
Enjoy putting your shed up in the rain :rofl::rofl::rofl: I tried putting one up in a gale earlier this year, you can guess how that worked out.

Sunny here, guests have just left and I have the day to myself. While I was clearing out the garage I found an old colonial era Kukri blade dating from before the Great War. (Not your average Indian tourist tatt) I may try and start to make a handle for it if I can do it without too much fuss...
Obviously it will look modern but that can't be helped.

Enjoy putting your shed up in the rain :rofl::rofl::rofl: I tried putting one up in a gale earlier this year, you can guess how that worked out.

Yeah, helped neighbours trying to re-felt a shed after a gale (was still pretty blowy) and that was bad enough so I can imagine. If you're looking to move on the kukri I'd be interested, love a kukri, covers a lot of bases.

Edit - The shed went up pretty well, only 1 bit we were baffled by and it doesn't seem too important. Unhandy Andy and DIY Dave got it sorted and nobody has called me DIY Dave. :lol:

Yeah, helped neighbours trying to re-felt a shed after a gale (was still pretty blowy) and that was bad enough so I can imagine. If you're looking to move on the kukri I'd be interested, love a kukri, covers a lot of bases.

Edit - The shed went up pretty well, only 1 bit we were baffled by and it doesn't seem too important. Unhandy Andy and DIY Dave got it sorted and nobody has called me DIY Dave. :lol:
@Ystranc I gave one shot willie a khukri a while ago,he got his son to weld a piece round the tang so he could fit a handle to it

I've already cut a piece of aluminium to act as a hilt, fitted over the tang snug to the blade. The rest will be solid oiled hickory bored out and counter bored to accept whitworth lock nuts. Once it's on I'll shape it, including cutting the aluminium back flush with the wood...the fitting of this handle shouldn't have any permanent effect on the original blade/tang but I do want a longer than normal handle.
I think I'll go for a flat leather sheath as well.

Back