• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

morning

Just back from a wander. Mike, years ago I had Shingles, brought on by of all things, getting my face frozen!!
Long story, but I had just anchored in the River Blackwater in Essex after a particularly difficult voyage from Sussex, ( Fog in the Thames Estuary) I lay on my bunk with the main hatch open, intending 40 winks...3 Hours later woke up, dark, temperature had dropped, it was February..whole side of my face not on the pillow was frozen. Frost on pillow from frozen breath.....

Two days later, ashore to the Doctor. Headache something cronic, feeling grim and pain in face. Verdict Shingles caused by " Cold stress" ? so I was told. Apparently it attacks the nerves.

Took about a week of pills to shift it...20 years later, left side of face/head above cheek bone stills goes numb at times. You may suffer some side effects, so just be aware in case you wonder what the hell is happening, hopefully you won't.
Strangely, only recently walking through the woods, got scratched by a branch above the left eyebrow, didn't even feel it, until blood ran down my cheek...legacy of Shingles.

Just back from a wander. Mike, years ago I had Shingles, brought on by of all things, getting my face frozen!!
Long story, but I had just anchored in the River Blackwater in Essex after a particularly difficult voyage from Sussex, ( Fog in the Thames Estuary) I lay on my bunk with the main hatch open, intending 40 winks...3 Hours later woke up, dark, temperature had dropped, it was February..whole side of my face not on the pillow was frozen. Frost on pillow from frozen breath.....

Two days later, ashore to the Doctor. Headache something cronic, feeling grim and pain in face. Verdict Shingles caused by " Cold stress" ? so I was told. Apparently it attacks the nerves.

Took about a week of pills to shift it...20 years later, left side of face/head above cheek bone stills goes numb at times. You may suffer some side effects, so just be aware in case you wonder what the hell is happening, hopefully you won't.
Strangely, only recently walking through the woods, got scratched by a branch above the left eyebrow, didn't even feel it, until blood ran down my cheek...legacy of Shingles.
Aren't you just a little ray of sunshine Sax? :rolleyes: After half an hour of listening to my Mum gleefully talking about blindness, nerve damage, chronic neuralgia and the two page list of side effects that came with the anti-viral pills I needed a bit of good news..:(.. The Doctor reckoned that in my case it could have been stress...go figure.:evileye:

Always been told that shingles are an adults version of chicken pox, my mother had it a good few years back, hard to tell if she had any side effects tho as she’s always been off’sh lol, good luck mike wish you a speedy recovery 👍🏻 And if your eyesight goes a little I promise TO ALWAYS WRITE IN CAPITALS TO HELP YOU OUT 😊😂

Fore warned is fore armed...about side effects.. :D I couldn't work out after the Shingles had gone why above my eyebrow was numb. My mates were no help because they said wooden heads should not have any feeling anyway...:lol:

Many people don't suffer side effects,and hopefully you won't, but there are quite a few folk and old wives tales about Shingles...:thumbsup:

Currently it just hurts like hell. It's a weird feeling because my head hurts inside and out, there is also a rash on my forehead and up into my hair. I'm a bit pissed off but just need to maintain my sense of humour and get on with the day to day stuff.
I doubt I'll be going out much for a couple of weeks.

Are we talking shingles? if so, Doc. could well be right. Did he/she do BP/temp.? If either is elevated consider paracetemol as per the box, if you're ok with it?........ as is an excellent anti inflammatory, and may relieve symptoms, such as head pains.

No Lol, because of covid it is all remote by Skype but the timescale of the headache, raised gland in my neck and sensitivity on one side of my face before the rash started to break out on my forehead pretty much confirmed it.
edit, yes Lol shingles, no she didn't test temp or bp as it was Skype.

Last edited:
Marrrrrrnin Mattchew :D...........All

Ow bist e me dear....might get a splash or two today by the looks of it :)

Have a good one.

Last edited:
Morning all not very good down this neck of the woods.... Misty rain don't mind being in work today. :thumbsup:

Hard to say Bill, I'm actually feeling pretty awful but I had a good nights sleep. If I thought my day was bad, today is the day that Sheppie gets his balls chopped off.

Well..... thank God yours have already been done then....according to @Ark79 that is :sneaky::D
Hope you feel a bit better as the day moves on mate :thumbsup:

Mornin' all, not a bad day here, overcast but dry. No particular plans although there's plenty I could be doing. Got loads of garlic to dehydrate for starters....

Enjoy your day folks.

Mornin'......grumbling ol' git time, why is it people (two in this case) advertise stuff on line, one doesn't reply at all, and the other, having agreed a price, also goes into silent mode......nothing?
Of course, there could be good reasons for it all..........but if no one tells anyone.......then it's boll*x
:mad:

Whinge over.....:thumbsup:

:thumbsup: ..........well, that prompted a response from 1 at least....whingeing works!!! :rofl:

Back