• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

morning

Mornin' all, a crap start to the day but it was forecast to be worse so shouldn't moan. Got the missus working from home today so I expect I'll get 'busted' when the pongo medium sleeping bag turns up today. :(

Hope all our assorted walking wounded are on the mend, have a good day folks.

Mornin' all, a crap start to the day but it was forecast to be worse so shouldn't moan. Got the missus working from home today so I expect I'll get 'busted' when the pongo medium sleeping bag turns up today. :(

Oh, how I've been caught like that!!!! :eek: :lol:..........:whistle:

Goddamn it ! Nearly got away with it, the delivery guy asked if I'd take a parcel for next door too, I was able to show the missus the parcel for next door with a big cheesy grin and a smug look. Unfortunately she decided she'd get up for a cuppa at the time so saw the 'other' parcel on the stair. :lol: She wasn't too bad, got the "Is that another sleeping bag ?", "I can't believe you need ANOTHER sleeping bag...", "blah, blah, blah.....".

Howlin' an a blowin' and heavy rain here...stand down on the boat lift...Too risky, and it looks like little improvement for a few days..
Today has been a bit crap. I woke up with an itching blister from a spider bite, we have had a lot of brown recluse spiders this year and I must have disturbed one while bringing in firewood yesterday. Over the course of the day the blister got bigger until I decided to break all the rules and drain it with a freshly boiled needle and cotton. I'm keeping it clean with Hibiscrub and hoping that it isn't going to turn into a Staph infection. Does anyone have any advice about spider bites? I've had a few over the years but this is the worst so far.
Edit; ...and no, my spidy sense isn't tingling (that joke has worn thin today)
Mike, I have to say that I was pleased to read your post above, not of your misfortune but it has cleared up a mystery which has puzzled me for over a week.
About 8 days ago I was tunnelling around in the spare room under a pile of 'essential gear' when I thought I had been stabbed by a Mosquito. A sharp 'nip' on my lower leg. Didn't think anything of it for a few minutes until the itching started. I eventually gave up scratching and went for the ' Insect Bite Relief', made by Master Plast, (Manchester) contains Tea Tree oil, and I know is usually 100 % effective on Mossie bites.

When I went to apply it I was surprised to see a small bump and area of red skin...probably the scratching, I thought. A couple of hours later the itch returned and I was amazed to find a blister about 5 Pence size and a circular red patch of skin....A few moments of..."Was it a Tick?" No definitely not. I cleaned the area with a 'Medi Wipe' and put Savlon and a plaster over the mark. Later in the evening, still itching, I decided to change the plaster. Blister burst! I applied a dry dressing.
9th day now, itching has gone and where the blister burst the wound has scabbed over and is still healing. No other physical effects noticed, feel fine, did about 5-6 miles in the woods yesterday. What started as a pin prick is now healing as a 10 CM wound.
I think I have met a similar Spider as the one that feasted on you.
DSC00124.JPG

I've been looking up Spiders on the web...No, hang on I'll start again..
anim_59.gif
... Researching Spider bites....
scared0011.gif
....Apparently there's only 12 that are common in the UK that are likely culprits, although some of those are a bit nasty, and there's always the possibility of an illegal immigrant that arrived with the Bananas, but I think me legs safe...
happy0040.gif

Attachments

• anim_59.gif
    anim_59.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 84
  • scared0011.gif
    scared0011.gif
    649 bytes · Views: 84
  • anim_59.gif
    anim_59.gif
    150 bytes · Views: 16
  • scared0011.gif
    scared0011.gif
    649 bytes · Views: 18
  • happy0040.gif
    happy0040.gif
    769 bytes · Views: 15
Goddamn it ! Nearly got away with it, the delivery guy asked if I'd take a parcel for next door too, I was able to show the missus the parcel for next door with a big cheesy grin and a smug look. Unfortunately she decided she'd get up for a cuppa at the time so saw the 'other' parcel on the stair. :lol: She wasn't too bad, got the "Is that another sleeping bag ?", "I can't believe you need ANOTHER sleeping bag...", "blah, blah, blah.....".
Well Andy you wont get any sympathy from me, you reap what you sow mate

Andy, sorry to hear it isn't up to the standard that you expected...I had a similar problem with a bivvi bag. It's always disappointing to have to go back to the seller with a problem.

Reactions: Bam
Andy, sorry to hear it isn't up to the standard that you expected...I had a similar problem with a bivvi bag. It's always disappointing to have to go back to the seller with a problem.

Cheers mate, had a neb, looks a private seller so will email tomorrow to see how they want to progress. Some of the teeth aren't catching on the zip, tried it quick, slow and everything in between. Shit happens I guess, as long as it gets resolved.

Was it off eBay? If so you're protected.

Aye, ebay. I'm not anticipating any major problems, just as you said up the thread, its a pain when you get a new 'toy' and its not quite right. Hey ho...

Back