• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

morning

Morning all! It's snowing!!! Yay!
IMG_20210124_083759.jpg

Mornin' all, another great start to the day, cold and crisp with a blue sky. The ground is frozen and the pools that freeze are thick enough for my boyish frame to walk on. Braw. Now on to more important issues....

The Fray Bentos trial was a failure, it wasn't long before the sauce was boiling away but I struggled with the pid 'lid', faffed about with a trivet/no trivet etc but no joy. The trivet I used was a bit too big for pot I was using as a cover though so maybe played a part. Will try a Dutch oven and an open fire next time. Had a good night though and was feeling fuzzy this morning so at least that particular mission objective was achieved.

Looking forward to the next trial.... have a good day peeps.

Heavy snow last night and it looks like there is more to come. After putting my spikes on and taking the dogs for a long walk in it I'm worn out...walking in crampons seems to use a whole different set of muscles, I must be out of condition because it's the first time I've ever noticed it this much.

Jus
Heavy snow last night and it looks like there is more to come. After putting my spikes on and taking the dogs for a long walk in it I'm worn out...walking in crampons seems to use a whole different set of muscles, I must be out of condition because it's the first time I've ever noticed it this much.
Just means that your becoming a grumpy old bugger

Pretty soon I'll be taking afternoon naps sat in front of the fire while wearing my carpet slippers..

Last edited:
no mate im still on holiday this week till monday :) off out today to dads garage to put a couple new cv joints on my sisters honda crv :thumbsup:
just an update on this comment .... got to have a good look at the crv,s gear box and it turns out the diff has failed :mad: so rather than fit a new gear box we went out on the hunt this morning to get a new car ,,,, we ended up in Honiton after battling through the snow at silly oclock this morning (good old landy took it all in its stride :whistle: ) Holden hill was interesting :D... anyways we ended up buying a nice example of a suzuki Vitara (diesel) nice low miles and a full mot ... the bonus with this car over the crv is the 4x4 is switch able which came in handy getting back up holden hill early this morning ... sister is very pleased with it :thumbsup:

Mornin' all, another great start to the day, cold and crisp with a blue sky. The ground is frozen and the pools that freeze are thick enough for my boyish frame to walk on. Braw. Now on to more important issues....

The Fray Bentos trial was a failure, it wasn't long before the sauce was boiling away but I struggled with the pid 'lid', faffed about with a trivet/no trivet etc but no joy. The trivet I used was a bit too big for pot I was using as a cover though so maybe played a part. Will try a Dutch oven and an open fire next time. Had a good night though and was feeling fuzzy this morning so at least that particular mission objective was achieved.

Looking forward to the next trial.... have a good day peeps.

I can remember when on a girl's camping trip one of the less bright of us brought several fray bentos pies for her turn at the meal. These were produced with a flourish and a shout of HAHA! eating gourmet tonight ladies! There was a lot of head shaking, mention of a bloody oven, silly cow was in there too I recall. Thankfully we did at least have tin openers, otherwise it would have been a lost cause.
We ended up decanting the meat sauce into a billy to heat up and frying the pastry lids. We'd sampled a few bottles of vino by the time we ate them, so I really can't remember what they were like, what I can say is there was none left and I do vaguely remember chewing on something akin to a dog chew.

eta, I do think a dutch oven is the way to go. Might have to have a go myself.

Last edited:
Back