• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

morning

Here's the fire seen from my place tonight. Our firebreak held and its burning back across the plateau. At this time of year will keep burning until it runs out of fuel....

That fire front is several kilometres across

20210731_201816.jpg

Alan

Hiya Joe...

You gotta tell
.. what happened in ye olde Cornwall? A few Showers?

Alan
Something like that Alan, the picture I saw on the news showed just a tent frame with a few bits of rag hanging on it. I believe a few people had to be rescued by the emergency services

Can’t believe people pitching up tents on exposed coastline, after being repeatedly warned about an approaching storm for two days! 🤪🤪

Morning all.

Bit of a mixed menue with regards the weather this morning......could go either way methinks 🤔
the sun is trying to poke through some large banks of cloud.......a fair bit of blue sky though.

Looking forward to my Liquidised roast dinner :sneaky::D

Have a good one.

Similar here in Edinburgh, was wet yesterday but dry and looking promising so far …. Moving on up to Loch Lomond this morning for a couple of nights 😁

just my big brekki to polish off first 😁

Can’t believe people pitching up tents on exposed coastline, after being repeatedly warned about an approaching storm for two days! 🤪🤪
Red there's none so blind as them that cannot see. I probably would have been quite secure in my big Coleman tent in that storm but a cheapy wasn't going to stand a chance. I always pitch my tent the same way I pitch a tarp, back into the weather but at a 45 degree so that any wind is going to skate off rather that hitting full on. I have actually seen complete tents take off like kites because they have been facing into the wind with the flaps open

Morning all.

First coffee slipping down nicely :)

Health check and claw clipping at the vets for "Eddie" today......looking his best after his shower yesterday......the tart :)
Few admin bits in town........another visit to the dentist for me......... and a walk with "Eddie" at the beach later.

Have a good one.

Reference the people camping and getting wiped out in the storm.....I actually felt quite sorry for them :(
Especially those half way through their holiday and with children and maybe having travelled for miles.
I would think a large percentage of them were on a staycation.....doing the best they can to get away for a break.
Not everyone has the practice and knowledge under their belt like most of us have......nor all the Gucci kit for their few days away.
As far as the pitching goes.....most of the "managed" camping sites are regimentally laid out....including the position and direction campers have to face the tent.
Options to alter the pitch are normally very few......so what you see is what you get.

I also wonder how many made the conscious decision to try and ride it out and shelter in the cars.....rather than drive home in the stormy conditions......also a risk.
What was nice to see..... was campers and staff trying to help each other out during the chaos.

A large proportion of tents sold today come with ridiculously thin wire pegs......no good to man nor beast.....more than likely responsible for a large proportion of the failures :(

Reference the people camping and getting wiped out in the storm.....I actually felt quite sorry for them :(
Especially those half way through their holiday and with children and maybe having travelled for miles.
I would think a large percentage of them were on a staycation.....doing the best they can to get away for a break.
Not everyone has the practice and knowledge under their belt like most of us have......nor all the Gucci kit for their few days away.
As far as the pitching goes.....most of the "managed" camping sites are regimentally laid out....including the position and direction campers have to face the tent.
Options to alter the pitch are normally very few......so what you see is what you get.

I also wonder how many made the conscious decision to try and ride it out and shelter in the cars.....rather than drive home in the stormy conditions......also a risk.
What was nice to see..... was campers and staff trying to help each other out during the chaos.

A large proportion of tents sold today come with ridiculously thin wire pegs......no good to man nor beast.....more than likely responsible for a large proportion of the failures :(
Morning Bill and everybody. I totally agree with you on all points especially the lay out of camp sites, most are designed to get the greatest number of pitches into a given area with little thought given to weather variables in that area. I know of one Bridge Farm Camp Site at Charmouth where there is a thick hedge behind every row of pitches and I've stayed there in some pretty horrendous weather with no ill effects AND I have different pegs for every occasion

Back