• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

morning

Morning. All set up at the steam fair
IMG_20220806_091438.jpg
IMG_20220806_091447.jpg
IMG_20220806_091456.jpg

Morning all from a very wet West Sussex, torrential storms all night with non stop thunder and lightning.
At least that was the dream I had. In reality the heat is already building so the odds are that its going to be a very warm day so I will be forced against my will to drink the cold beers that I have in the fridge

not to much today :) spot of shopping for dog food and then back home for the day
I’ll just be putting some bits of old wrinkly tin on the back of one of my wood sheds so I can fill them a bit higher. I might also make a start on a pole lathe I’ve been promising myself since I’ve dug out a few nice bits of oak from the wood stack.

I’ll just be putting some bits of old wrinkly tin on the back of one of my wood sheds so I can fill them a bit higher. I might also make a start on a pole lathe I’ve been promising myself since I’ve dug out a few nice bits of oak from the wood stack.
I made a pole-lathe last year with my local bushcraft group. Should I bring my chisels with me to the meet or shall I pass on what I learned doing it. We definitely made some mistakes which I may be able to help you avoid.

I made a pole-lathe last year with my local bushcraft group. Should I bring my chisels with me to the meet or shall I pass on what I learned doing it. We definitely made some mistake which I may be able to help you avoid.
I’m planning on keeping it simple and static inside one of my sheds, just two oak posts set into the ground with two oak rails at a height of about four foot. The rest of it is going to be kept as simple as possible. Rather than a pole I was planning to use some bungee cord (saying nothing Mark 😶) Once I have that up and running the next job is the shave horse.

Last edited:
I’m planning on keeping it simple and static inside one of my sheds, just two oak posts set into the ground with oak two rails at a height of about four foot. The rest of it is going to be kept as simple as possible. Rather than a pole I was planning to use some bungee cord (saying nothing Mark 😶) Once I have that up and running the next job is the shave horse.
You need the pole-lathe to turn some of the parts for the shave-horse - got that T-shirt. Not using bungee cord was one of the mistakes we made. You also have to decide if the drive cord passes between the rails or over the back - this affects the length of the treadle. Have fun making the poppets and ironwork. 😀

Back