• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Mountain men, Alaskan bush people and similar TV shows

Anyone see the bear hunt by bow on life below zero (episode 17 series 3) tonight? I think a gun kill would be more humane than the bear bleeding out from hunting bow arrow :(
Agreed, a bear is a big animal to bring down with a bow

Bow hunting is big in Alberta, Iam not a fan of it , to many animals get away and die somewhere in the bush.
I have found many deer shot with a bow and the hunters gave up looking for them, I hate to see a animal suffer !

I'm interested as to why people do it, it's not hunting the way I see it, it's a sport, and all the bows I've seen used are high power compound bows and even crossbows. i would like to see these so called sportsman use only long bows against a bear :rofl:

I have a friend who builds bows, But even he stopped hunting with them, to many getting away or giving them hrs to lay down then go look for them, That's just wrong, I don't let bow hunters on my land, I find way to many dead animals in the spring that they couldn't find, also how long did that animal suffer for ?

The bow was developed by our ancestors as a survival hunting tool, and for big game poisons or many arrows from many bows were shot. The current bow hunting in the U.S is a joke and a disgusting cruelty.

Reviving this one, just recently finished all 3 seasons of live free or die. Same line as mountain men and covers primitive living in both woodland and desert, homesteading as well as trapping. Well worth a watch.

You seen the throwing stick episode yet? :rofl:

What I struggle to understand with alot of these programs is that the participants set out on a long term survival / living off the wild mission. If so, why only set a limited amount of traps and then hope for the best? You have to in effect become a hunter gatherer and they set multiple traps over a distance aiming for all different types of prey while making sure there was edible plants along the way that they could use to maintain energy levels... Anyway, just something I noticed and was wondering if anyone else has too.

That being said, Alone and Naked and Afraid are also fun to watch shows.

You seen the throwing stick episode yet? :rofl:
'v
What I struggle to understand with alot of these programs is that the participants set out on a long term survival / living off the wild mission. If so, why only set a limited amount of traps and then hope for the best? You have to in effect become a hunter gatherer and they set multiple traps over a distance aiming for all different types of prey while making sure there was edible plants along the way that they could use to maintain energy levels... Anyway, just something I noticed and was wondering if anyone else has too.

That being said, Alone and Naked and Afraid are also fun to watch shows.
I've watched most of the Alone and Naked And Afraid and wonder how some of the participants ever got chosen to take part because as far as bush craft and survival go they don't have a clue

Exactly... Some of them you wana reach through the tele, slap em round the head and shout what were you expecting as they also sometimes seem to lack common sense.
Me and the missus like to speculate on who will be folding first.

Back