• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Mountain men

Its OK, I downloaded and binge watched some. Just remember this ain't real, its set up so I think of it as a fiction series.

It’s like Alaskan frontier series; the voice over would suggest that if they don’t manage to shoot a deer the family will starve but they are only actually 7 miles from the nearest town with supermarket, bars, doctors etc.
Still enjoy it though!

It’s like Alaskan frontier series; the voice over would suggest that if they don’t manage to shoot a deer the family will starve but they are only actually 7 miles from the nearest town with supermarket, bars, doctors etc.
Still enjoy it though!

Not seen this programme but I've seen others that lead you down the garden path like that and it p1sses me off. If you're a documentary then sell it as a documentary, if its a drama then sell it as a bloody drama. Grrrrrr. I'll take my meds now and normal service will be resumed. ;)

When you look at all these programmes, none of the cast are truly 'off grid' cut off the supply of petrol and they would be well stuffed, no more generators, no more skidoos, no more internet etc, remove the outside world...no more propane, no more paraffin, no more ammunition.

Same goes for 'off griders' in the UK, they are looking for a lifestyle that in reality does not exist, sure they can choose not to use services like water, power and sewage but none of them are really self reliant... its all a dream.

Fair point harry. Still I have a different view over this. Each to there own I suppose

When you look at all these programmes, none of the cast are truly 'off grid' cut off the supply of petrol and they would be well stuffed, no more generators, no more skidoos, no more internet etc, remove the outside world...no more propane, no more paraffin, no more ammunition.

Same goes for 'off griders' in the UK, they are looking for a lifestyle that in reality does not exist, sure they can choose not to use services like water, power and sewage but none of them are really self reliant... its all a dream.
It does exist but no one, including me, would be prepared to give up absolutely everything and go primitive. It can be done, because none of us would be here today if it couldn't. Problem is we have evolved to become reliant upon the things we have today. So evolved that we dont know how, or dont want to truly live without them. My opinion, its another form of control, we are reliant upon something that we can't live without, but allows big brother to know where you are, what your up to, even to know you intimately. Big social control experiment that none of us can escape. Thats why no one can truly live wild.

It does exist but no one, including me, would be prepared to give up absolutely everything and go primitive. It can be done, because none of us would be here today if it couldn't. Problem is we have evolved to become reliant upon the things we have today. So evolved that we dont know how, or dont want to truly live without them. My opinion, its another form of control, we are reliant upon something that we can't live without, but allows big brother to know where you are, what your up to, even to know you intimately. Big social control experiment that none of us can escape. Thats why no one can truly live wild.
I don't agree totally Jon, my aunt and uncle has a small holding just outside hastings, they hand built their bungalow based on an Irish Croft and there water came from a well they dug by hand. Being veggies they grew their own food and foraged and it was all cooked on their open fire. The 2 girls used to go to school in hand carved wooden Dutch style clogs again carved by Fred out of hazle, couldn't have done there feet any harm because Moyra went on to become the prima ballerina of the Stockholm ballet. So not completely living wild but pretty much as close as you can get

I don't agree totally Jon, my aunt and uncle has a small holding just outside hastings, they hand built their bungalow based on an Irish Croft and there water came from a well they dug by hand. Being veggies they grew their own food and foraged and it was all cooked on their open fire. The 2 girls used to go to school in hand carved wooden Dutch style clogs again carved by Fred out of hazle, couldn't have done there feet any harm because Moyra went on to become the prima ballerina of the Stockholm ballet. So not completely living wild but pretty much as close as you can get
As close as you can get Joe. Would be my dream to live that close! But as for living like the original mountain men and their counterparts the native Americans, I think those days are long gone. Forever lost.

Telly is entertainment and who am I to cast aspersions on anyone's viewing. Believe you me, my viewing would a cause a proper viperous outpouring from some members on here but do I care? Not a jot! I watch stuff coz I either find it entertaining or interesting. If I'm really lucky, both. Mountain Men isn't my thing, but I'm chuffed you enjoy it Mark.
Same goes for how folk live. Maybe those offgridders are perfectly happy with their lot. They are defo living more lightly on the Earth than the rest of us so where's the harm? I would hazard a guess they are living their dream, not someone else's version of it.

As close as you can get Joe. Would be my dream to live that close! But as for living like the original mountain men and their counterparts the native Americans, I think those days are long gone. Forever lost.
I think your probably right, in our hearts think we would all like to back to basics

Ah it is what it’s is lol. For me it’s a bit of entertainment of something I would like a go at. Not everyone’s cup of tea right enough but that’s ok:D

Last edited:
Its all good to watch. Would love to live that way myself. Possibly get a ticking off for saying this but there are some that always have to put a negative on something or disagree with everything that is posted. So maybe I got out the wrong side of the bed this morning and just had a sly dig. I apologise to anyones back I got up. Cant be sweetness and like all the time 😉😈

Back