• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
I think it would be very tricky Mark not knowing if you could trust someone or not. Too much to lose.
Keith.

I think that i the crux of the issue and I dont want to waffle on too much but lets be honest it makes good content and I like to deal with the deeper stuff.

So what is the purpose of us studying and preparing to survive? Is it JUST to survive? like animals by any means foul or fair? If so are we no better than the individuals that we decry now whom rob, mug and scam to just get by. Are they not doing what they need now in the present to get by?

If so is that action justified?

I think the mentality that everything that you feel a need to do post fall is justified is inherently flawed.
What we have next is a potential 'shoot first , ask questions ' type mentality where we have drawn a conclusion that no-one else is going to act with humane intent so best to get the first punch in.....

I've spoken here ( mostly at odds with others ) regarding working in groups and building an element of trust with strangers - I understand why people react in the way that they do but to me its pointless to attempt to survive unless you have an intention of rebuilding a civilized world and that to me means meeting new people , working with them and trying to build up some sort of relationship with them. Trust is gained over time but it needs to start small and with caution I agree.

I guess i'm waving the flag for Humanity surviving as opposed to just humans surviving.

there fair points. Humanity would be somthing of a must for me but again that's choice.....what happens when the choice is set out for you....them or you... post fallout the probability of such a choice would be relatively high... working in a group would alleviate some of the stress related with this situation and somthing I would be willing to do

I think that i the crux of the issue and I dont want to waffle on too much but lets be honest it makes good content and I like to deal with the deeper stuff.

So what is the purpose of us studying and preparing to survive? Is it JUST to survive? like animals by any means foul or fair? If so are we no better than the individuals that we decry now whom rob, mug and scam to just get by. Are they not doing what they need now in the present to get by?

If so is that action justified?

I think the mentality that everything that you feel a need to do post fall is justified is inherently flawed.
What we have next is a potential 'shoot first , ask questions ' type mentality where we have drawn a conclusion that no-one else is going to act with humane intent so best to get the first punch in.....

I've spoken here ( mostly at odds with others ) regarding working in groups and building an element of trust with strangers - I understand why people react in the way that they do but to me its pointless to attempt to survive unless you have an intention of rebuilding a civilized world and that to me means meeting new people , working with them and trying to build up some sort of relationship with them. Trust is gained over time but it needs to start small and with caution I agree.

I guess i'm waving the flag for Humanity surviving as opposed to just humans surviving.
I do understand what you are saying & where you are coming from, & there MAY be instances where I MIGHT offer a helping hand, but not if I thought for one moment that it could endanger me or mine. I am an old man now, & I have been around. I have seen good, but mostly I have witnessed the bad side of people. I have learnt my lesson, & as harsh as it will seem to you, if push comes to shove I will shun people & even dispose of them before I take the smallest risk.
My wife of over 40 years remembers well two things from our past life together, the sound of the wind in cyclone Tracey in 74, & strong winds still shake her. The other is the sound of bullets flying past us as we crouched close to the ground trying to avoid being hit. We may yet experience these again, but we will avoid it if we can.
Keith.

I'm not suggesting one walks blindly into situations unaware and unarmed and trusts freely with everyone we meet , but to at least entertain the possibility that not everyone is a bad person intent on harm.

There needs to be a fragment of possibility that some people are good people and just want to get by and be protected like we all do.
I just feel that if the over riding mantra is constant 'stranger danger' or if you're not one of me then automatically you're one of them can build a literal mental tunnel vision that is hard to shake off and will affect situations before they have been played out.

I'm not offended if other disagree and if it seems i'm here on my lonesome championing some element of tolerance , trust and understanding then thats ok. Like you Keith I've been around the block a little also , not quite as high a mileage however - but I've met people and dealt with some issues.

Anyway , enough from me on the subject.

i'm not far behind Keith, and have had many experiences with people- a lot of them negative, some positive- some good friends along the way, but in a serious survival event the negative will always rise to the surface, like my BIL says "whats in it for me?" and that will be most people's first thoughts, trust has to be earned not given away freely, and how can you trust someone on first sight? get it wrong and it could be fatal.

i'm not far behind Keith, and have had many experiences with people- a lot of them negative, some positive- some good friends along the way, but in a serious survival event the negative will always rise to the surface, like my BIL says "whats in it for me?" and that will be most people's first thoughts, trust has to be earned not given away freely, and how can you trust someone on first sight? get it wrong and it could be fatal.

The answer is you don't trust someone on first sight. And they won't trust you. Thats just life - even now.

Trust is a trade and confidence game , small bit to start off with then a little larger as its returned. No one opens the gates fully and openly the first time - its like Dating.

Yes the risks and oddly the rewards are far higher in a Post Event world depending upon the magnitude.

Take my word for it, you give someone the benefit of the doubt, turn your back & you could be dead. This is about survival, our survival. It should not be about whether you are a good person or not & giving someone a chance. I can't have my eyes on a stranger 24/7, & neither can anyone else. Anyone else want to take that risk with their own life & that of family, their choice. Enough said. Best of luck.
Keith.

The answer is you don't trust someone on first sight. And they won't trust you. Thats just life - even now.

Trust is a trade and confidence game , small bit to start off with then a little larger as its returned. No one opens the gates fully and openly the first time - its like Dating.

Yes the risks and oddly the rewards are far higher in a Post Event world depending upon the magnitude.

Well if your talking dating in post shtf a will have to add dance lesson to my prep list :rofl:

seriously a take much of the same view but also keep an open mind that some will see it different through experiences they have had a think we all share the same motion IF IT NEEDS DONE IT WILL GET DONE ...most like myself would rather not have that choice put to us in a post fallout but understand it's a high risk. Humanity is our strongest position in life and I for one would like it to continue

Take my word for it, you give someone the benefit of the doubt, turn your back & you could be dead. This is about survival, our survival. It should not be about whether you are a good person or not & giving someone a chance. I can't have my eyes on a stranger 24/7, & neither can anyone else. Anyone else want to take that risk with their own life & that of family, their choice. Enough said. Best of luck.
Keith.
like we all keep saying, you have to sleep sometimes and you could get a knife in your ribs in the middle of the night, an extreme example maybe but it could happen.

like we all keep saying, you have to sleep sometimes and you could get a knife in your ribs in the middle of the night, an extreme example maybe but it could happen.

Is it that extreme an example? In a total and quick collapse anyone who has something someone who is desperate wants or needs is surely at risk of this?

A have seen it advertised never gave it much thought.....a will have a look tonight. Hinky! You say prime:rofl: sorry prime that made me laugh a haven't herd that for a wile:thumbsup:

Back