• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Mr Buddy portable heater.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
I have looked long and hard at a small portable heater option for use in the home during power cuts.......Summerhouse.......tent etc.
There are a good few out there varying in price and performance.....build quality and features as well as safety features.
Always a good idea to use these heaters in a well-ventilated space and have a CO2 detector in use.

My personal choice has come down to the "Mr Heater Portable."

Have tried woodburning stoves and although enjoyable to use they can be temperamental and need a good supply of wood to keep going.....not always available..... in wet conditions especially.
I have a "Coleman Sportcat catalytic heater" that will take the chill off of a small area......but not provide a decent warmth when you need it.

This would be a nice addition to the Scotland kit.:whistle::sneaky:

If battened down.........or just to have on for an hour or two in the mornings.........or at night before bed.

Also handy for an instant hot tent............ if needed in an emergency situation.

So....I am pondering at the moment.......but can see me hitting the button on one of these little gems.

I have the adapter to refill the 1lb Coleman canisters from a larger bottle.....so it would be quite economical to run.
Or run it on the 20lb bottles (Lagged) with the additional hose.
As for size and space......the large bottle and Heater would not take up as much room as most wood burners.

Food for thought.....what do you reckon??

What sort of burn times do you get, is it close to the 8 hours that they say you can get with a decent enough output to stay warm ?

I'd say you get around six hours or maybe a bit more from the Heat Pal longer if you lower the flame. They are great for slow cooking a stew or a curry and keeping a kettle on the go for a brew. These are cheap to run as methanol can be got for a little over £1 a litre...that said I need to get some as my HP is in a shipping container with pretty much all my other worldly goods and I'll need to get the lot unpacked

Hi Mark. :p:rofl:

Am soooo close to going for this

We are now putting a panel heater in the shed.....so buying this Mr Heater just for the Scotland trip does not make sense anymore.
Which means I may stick with the "Sportcat" for now...........I think :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::whistle:
I have used the "Coleman Sportcat" in the tent before and it did the job ok........burning for 14hrs on a 16oz canister.:thumbsup:

We shall see.....depends on what tent I take as well......ohhh decisions decisions :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::rofl:

Morning bill:thumbsup:

Oh decisions are the mother of all evil :rofl: if the one you have works mate then no need to change it :thumbsup:

Know what......you only live once :rolleyes::whistle::rofl:

I have looked and researched (LOTS ) what is out there and in my humble opinion, I don't think I could better this product with its safety features and indoor use specification.
Even with the panel heater in the shed....if we have a power cut......we are stuffed anyway.........well.....that's my thinking........am I trying to justify the purchase do you think :whistle::rofl:

I am weak and need to upkeep my TART status.............sooooooo.........I hit the button :thumbsup::rofl:

Coming from the states as for the life of me I could not find one in the U.K.

I bought one of these 8 years ago and still in use. Just have to make sure you change the cartridge safely.
stove.jpg

The Heater turned up today.

When I saw the box I thought ohhhhh :poo:......they have sent the bigger model....but it was all due to the packaging inside the box :D
Also ordered the hose to enable use with bigger bottles as well as the Coleman 1lb bottles.
A 3.9kg....8lb bottle £17.00 will be ideal for use with the tent and will give approx 48hrs burn time on low setting 4000BTUs.
Will use an even bigger bottle for use in the shed so it should work out pretty economical to run.

Attached a 1lb bottle and turned it on.....they say to leave on high until the plate turns orange and then adjust the temperature to suit.
This little thing throws out a LOT of heat on high.........and it's not too shabby on the low setting either.
The footprint of the heater is large and the height compliments that making it very stable.
I gave it a nudge before attaching the bottle and it takes some knocking over.

The casing and handle appear to be made well and the paintwork should protect the unit from corrosion as will the hard plastic base.

So yes.......well happy with it.

DSC03321.JPG

DSC03322.JPG

DSC03323.JPG

DSC03325.JPG

DSC03326.JPG

DSC03327.JPG

Happy days and warm nights.

Nice one bill:thumbsup: lovely piece of gear and not a bad delivery time. Glad your happy with it. Should keep us all....oh I mean you:sneaky: warm in Scotyland :D

Cheers Mark :thumbsup:

I was surprised at the speed of delivery too.....spot on sellers.
Had good communication from them.

Would you 'kin believe it!!!! :rolleyes:

Somehow I think I have managed to order TWO of these heaters:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Had a message saying your global order is on its way:rofl::rofl:......again:rolleyes:

SO........if anyone is interested @Ark79 there could be one up for sale soon for £90.00
I will have to swallow the postal and shipping costs myself obviously :rolleyes:

I did have my suspicions that I had made a cock up and sent the seller a message to check the order.........they reckoned I only ordered one :eek::rofl:

Oh well, can't do much about it now:D.....if it comes to it I will stick it on eBay if no one wants it on the forum.:thumbsup::whistle:

:oops::oops::oops:

Back