• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
MSR MicroRocket Stove

Review MSR MicroRocket Stove

sapper

Quite Talkative
sapper submitted a new resource:

MSR MicroRocket Stove - A Small And Light Stove

The MicroRocket stove is the smallest and lightest addition to the MSR stove range, it also promises the best mix of weight, size, performance and price of any stove in its class. It fits easily inside an MSR® Insulated Mug, weighs a mere 2.6 oz. (75 g) and claims outstanding stability.

The MicroRocket was engineered to maintain top-notch efficiency and power so the hard-earned weight savings weren't lost carrying extra fuel. If you're on mission to reduce your load to the absolute minimum...

Read more about this resource...

Nice review Sapper ............. whats your thoughts on the Jetboil?

I had a look at the jet boil and decided not to bother as ,to me,it was just that ,a water boiler.Perfect for a brew or rehydrating food but not good enough for actual cooking.
For ease of use and compactness it ticks all the boxes but is limited to boiling.

Yes mate totally agree with you there - :) and a bit of forethought and a good thermos flask are just as good ;)

I've used every type of stove available(fuel type) and almost every model from every manufacturer.Either that or used someone elses over the years.
After lots of experimenting ,buying and selling,taking apart and timing boil and cook times,I've settled on two types of cooking method.
The first is a simple gas stove.
In summer I use a canister top stove.The MSRmicrorocket does everything I need,it will boil quickly and will also simmer porridge without burning it.I fits inside my cookset along with a gas canister,cup,folding spork and a couple of coffee sachet and sugar(I don't use milk).The biggest problem with canister top stoves,regardless of manufacturer is they are very slow and inefficeint in cold weather unless they have a preheating tube like the MSR windpro or edelrid opilio.

In winter when it gets colder I use a Primus express lander because the canister can be inverted to run on liquid gas which really does improve the cold weather performance.I'll do a review on this one too.

If I set up a camp I always use a wood fire,great for cooking ,heating,light and staring into late at night.If I'm only out for a day I don't see the need for a real fire and use the gas stoves.

I'll start a thread on which stoves and fuel I have used in the past and why I don't use some of them anymore.

great review mate, i didn't think the wind would be that big a variable, but clearly is

Have you ever tried any of the little folding wood burning stoves? Like the Nimblewill Nomad or the Honey stove?
I'd like to hear some first hand accounts of this type of stove before I get to building my own.

I've used the honey stove with wood,gas,meths,hexi and cow dung.
Of all the multifuel stoves out there ,this will burn anything,but ,It's a little too complex for me.
It's fiddly to put together until you get used to it,if you use solid fuel it gets very dirty and soot is a pain to clean off your hands and it's a little bit heavy although there is a titanium version available.These are the only bad points I had with them and they aren't really that much of a problem.
Once you have them lit using wood they are very good and will boil water quickly ,and the fuel is free.They are not so good at simmering as there is no heat control.
With meths they are excellent and if you use a simmer ring on the meths burner they are very controllable.You do have to carry meths and it's heavy
With gas they are just the same as any gas stove except the will hold a very large pot which many gas stoves won't.
With cow dung,as long as the dung is absolutely dry they work very well if a bit smelly.
For strength,I have had a 5 litre pot full of water on top of one and the only problem was reaching under the pot to feed the stove.It held the weight no problem.
I stopped using the honey stove because I could do exactly the same with an open wood fire and didn't see the point of carrying the extra weight of metal just to light a wood fire.
Although it is a very good meths stove there are lighter and better out there.
The same with gas there are lighter and better out there.
As an allround cooker it does the job of many different stoves,but as with any multi purpose tool it will never excel at any one thing.
It's main selling point is it's versatility with fuel and in this respect it's an excellent piece of kit.

I haven't tried the nimblewell stove,yet.

Great review thanks enjoyed reading that.

I'm looking at building my own nomad stove but you probably wouldn't like the weight of it as the stainless steel I've got is about 2mm thick:eek:
I am tempted to try a different design though, something that can be damped down at night and used as a sort of hot box heat source in a basha. I bought far too much metal so I either make 2 small cooking stoves or experiment with other ideas.

Back