• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

MSR Reactor 1.7 ltr gas stove.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Although I am a massive fan of the Trangia sets........I have been lusting and pondering over one of these stoves for a while now.
My camp food options have changed and I am leaning more towards boil in the bag foods......as well as all in one coffee and tea.....QT.
No more damp sugar......milk going off.......or butter melting etc :D
Cleaner.....easier options and less rubbish......hardly any washing up to do @gavin :rofl:........although there is NO substitute for a nice crispy bacon sandwich or full English :rofl:
As the majority of trips are over a weekend or a 5/7 day period I think I can manage without the fresh produce 🤔

As with other kit.....done a lot of research.....read reviews.....you tube etc.

Also looked at the "MSR Windburner" 1Ltr........although it is a nice bit of kit......I do not think it is as tent/shelter friendly as the Reactor due to its height and centre of gravity.

The 1.7ltr seems to make more sense with regards to heating the boil in the bag meals.
The stove is very fuel efficient and quick to boil for a brew.

As with most things you can buy extras if you want them.....coffee press......or skillet pan.
Another great feature is the nesting of the burner...gas can inside the pot.........no bigger than the Trangia set really as far as space in the pack goes.
Not the best for simmering.....but doable with care.

Good to have at home for emergencies.......it will work with most screw in gas cans.
In colder climes it will work as a radiant heater just to take the chill off the inside of the tent before bedding down or getting dressed ( Good ventilation is a must have to do this)

Any way......enough waffle.

:thumbsup:

Like the look of that bill, I like how well the the pot houses into the burner or vis versa lol

A guy I know rates the skillet highly, look forward to a review

I have had a look at the skillet @Bopdude it does look like it could be the business ........but........my thinking when buying this stove is to get away from taking fresh produce if and where I can.
Quite into the boil in the bag meals now......and the choices of menu are quite good....as is the taste........even puddings :rofl:
Take along some "Idahoan" mash.....boil in the bag rice...... to bulk up the bag meals if needed.
Time for a play when it arrives.....see how it goes :thumbsup:

Like the look of that bill, I like how well the the pot houses into the burner or vis versa lol
Very similar to how the Trangia packs away Mark........never thought I would replace the Trangia.....love it and had some great trips with it...... methods and practices change though :thumbsup:

Very similar to how the Trangia packs away Mark........never thought I would replace the Trangia.....love it and had some great trips with it...... methods and practices change though :thumbsup:

very true buddy, just bought a stove for the carp fishing, more suitable for the bivvy table .. never really been a fan of the trangia, not sure why lol just never appealed to me..

Not everyones cup of tea Mark.....HA!!........see what I did there 🤭 :eek:

What stove did you opt for Mark? :)

A guy I know rates the skillet highly, look forward to a review

@Bopdude

Hi Al.

More out of curiosity than need........I looked further into the skillet.
Apparently the Skillet can only be used with the "Windburner" version of the stove.....so that kind of settles that :D
If I do decide to take along some fresh bacon and eggs I have a very small gas burner I can use for that......and have as a back up :thumbsup:

Like most......for me Breakfast is without doubt the most enjoyable and important meal of the day...... so the addition of the bacon and eggs to the BITB breakfast will be lovely :thumbsup::D

Ah right, I didn't realise that @1 shot willie as for breakfast, I like to think I have that down to a T, my infamous 1 pot bacon and egg, one of the small 1 egg pans is perfect,Tesco bacon bits come in 2 portions, 1 is just right per wrap, fry bacon chuck egg on top mix around (nobody likes to wear yolk) let it firm up, turn cook wrap and eat adding sauce of choice of course 🍺

Like you need telling how to cook bacon lmao

Last edited:
To be honest mate neither did I until I looked further into it.......thought it may help others to mention it. :thumbsup:

Always up for learning new recipes @Bopdude Al......and yours sounds proper handsome :D .......partial to wraps myself mate....they seem to keep longer than bread on the longer outings.
We are away this weekend.......looking forward to trying out the stove when we get back :thumbsup:

Not taking "Eddie" on this trip.......got Lorraine's Brother here to Puppy sit.........poor sod :rofl:

Unpacked the stove this morning for a read of the instructions and to have a first burn and boil to clean the inside of the pot.
It certainly does what it's meant to do......very quick to boil a ltr of water.
They say that the stove does not like to simmer.....but with a careful touch it is possible to do.....ideal for packet soups or pasta.
Also ordered a canister stand that can be used with different sized gas cans.....which holds the stove pretty much rock solid....happy with that.

So there it is.....all good 👍

Attachments

• 20210713_091050.jpg
    20210713_091050.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210713_091212.jpg
    20210713_091212.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210713_091703.jpg
    20210713_091703.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 56
Back