• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

multi tool (i finally gave in and bought one !)

nedbushcrafter

Very Addicted
61G8n1N3VbL._SL1500_.jpg
Well i finally gave in and bought a multi tool for in my pack (had to buy two coz of the mrs ) bcb did this on special offer i looked at gerber makita leatherman and for what they are they seem overpriced this is an el cheapo one so im not expecting miracles or anything amazing as long as i can pick hot tins out the fire ill be happy have you blokes out there had any experience with these tools as im very sceptical on their durability

Attachments

• 61G8n1N3VbL._SL1500_.jpg
    61G8n1N3VbL._SL1500_.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 123
View attachment 7666 Well i finally gave in and bought a multi tool for in my pack (had to buy two coz of the mrs ) bcb did this on special offer i looked at gerber makita leatherman and for what they are they seem overpriced this is an el cheapo one so im not expecting miracles or anything amazing as long as i can pick hot tins out the fire ill be happy have you blokes out there had any experience with these tools as im very sceptical on their durability

I've got a victornox one Ned which cost a fortune but has a life time guarantee. I think they have a place in our bags

View attachment 7666 Well i finally gave in and bought a multi tool for in my pack (had to buy two coz of the mrs ) bcb did this on special offer i looked at gerber makita leatherman and for what they are they seem overpriced this is an el cheapo one so im not expecting miracles or anything amazing as long as i can pick hot tins out the fire ill be happy have you blokes out there had any experience with these tools as im very sceptical on their durability

Well ned a am a bit of a gear tart but I did the same and went for the cheepy....bought a pair at the carboot for a couple of qwid am sure a posted a pic of them on car boot finds. But they are just as good as the price'y ones as you say aslong as the do what you need them to do then alls well

So welcome to the multi tool clan;):rofl:

I've got a few:

Leather an wave - expensive but lasted at least 15 years.
Gergen large multi tool - free issue from the queen - bomb proof
SOG large multi tool - painfully free ( I knelt on it in the dark on the top of a candian hill) - good quality but not as good as either of the above.
SOG mini - lives in my motorbike tool kit - mid price and very good.

Of all of the them the Herbert is the most solid but I prefer the wave.

I've had non brand multi tools before and they've all fallen apart or got wobbly which didn't inspire confidence.

I have the bcb one in the pic I only want it for getting twins out the fire maybe cut the odd piece of wire and screw anything up loose what gets me is the price difference if I could find one that would cut fencing wire I'd buy it but sadly the only thing that will cut that is heavy gauge snips just don't see the likes of leather man etc can charge so much for them

On the Antiques Roadshow Sunday night they had a set of SOE (Special Operations Executive) multi tool. It had knives and a pair of heavy wire cutters. Apparently worth £30 but very rare. Maybe look out for them at car boots.

Cheers dive I'll troll the net to find one if they cit fencing wire its ideal
IMG_20160829_150826_hdr.jpg

Well this one will cut fencing wire if your hands are tough enough but its going to cost you over a hundred quid

Attachments

• IMG_20160828_112028_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20160828_112028_hdr.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 140
M heavy gauge fencing wore Joe like the stuff they use with the forestry commission its thicker and galvenised

I've got a multi tool set up but rarely use it I go to Swiss Army knife more often

I don't like swiss army knives to me they are a bit flimsy especially for the work I do with them I have a single blade swiss army knife in my drawer never been used I've been trolling the net for a heavier more robust multi tool I'll find one that suits my needs hopefully I'll just keep looking till I find a really heavy one

Your right they are flimsy but I've never broken one yet and I do abuse them. The Stanley multi tools are good and only £10!

Divebuddy, the SOE multitool you saw was probably the model that was smuggled into POW camps in WW2, as an escaping tool. There is a picture of one in 'MI9' by M.R.D. Foot & J.M. Langley (1979, Reprinted 2011)

I don't like swiss army knives to me they are a bit flimsy especially for the work I do with them I have a single blade swiss army knife in my drawer never been used I've been trolling the net for a heavier more robust multi tool I'll find one that suits my needs hopefully I'll just keep looking till I find a really heavy one
IMG_20160829_150826_hdr.jpg

This is about as heavy duty as you'll find in a multi tool Ned but as I mentioned earlier it also comes with a heavy duty price tag

Back