• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

must admit sounds tempting to some

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
Its the western way of life that creates this feeling.

I feel the same sometimes, it's only the family that's keeping me where I am now, as I get older and i see my kids growing and raising their own families I think, would it be selfish of me to go adventure, while I'm still able ? I do like a bit of Ben though 👍

Same boat here, often find myself thinking about a much simpler life, especially when I watch survival programs or homesteading programs lol. It’s definitely a fantasy of mine 😁

Escaping the modern world !! There's a certain irony there, I can't read that post without agreeing to Yahoo collecting information on me, it seems...:lol: :lol:

That's it though, only the first step needed be taken to make it a reality, sounds easy doesn't it, I know when I've looked at Alaska they make it very tempting, they'll pay you to live there, £5000 a year iirc, not a lot but it helps.

We moved from Manchester to Whitby for a slower pace of life …. worked for a while but cant help feeling I'm back on the hamster wheel ……
My step daughter is currently looking at Uni …. will she move away ? do we need a big house ? should we move somewhere more remote ? should we live in a caravan ? My children are grown up but now I have my first grandson , should we move closer to him ? We both have stressful jobs , should we opt out and downsize our lifestyles ? We'd love too but it takes planning and some cajones :thumbsdown: .

All of the above, it's only gonna be when it's too late that we'll pick up the cajones to do it, by then it's too late.

• Sad
Reactions: lol
There are some rather obscure obstacles which appear sometimes when living outside 'The Mainstream'. They can be overcome, but still illustrate to me at least, that it can be difficult to simply cut all ties and everything becomes simple...It does not.
After my wife died and I retired I sold up..Bungalow on South Coast, Landy, gun collection, all furniture etc: Put my Moto Guzzi and a few momentos of a past life in a secure container and moved aboard my boat.

I spent a winter on a cheap pontoon berth moored in the River Fal in Cornwall.An hours row downstream from Truro, no phone or computer, just a ship's VHF radio for emergencies.

lacoruna copy 023.jpg

Spent the winter exploring the river and creeks in the dinghy, collecting wood for the boat stove and occasionally rowing up to Truro on the flood tide to buy stores, and back on the ebb.
I decided to fit a car radio/CD player as the boat was an all12 volt system, which is when the tentacles of ordinary life got in the way.
In the shop in Truro...email address?...err no...phone number?...home address? Hang on, I'm paying cash..but it's computerised sales and without the required info the guarantee cannot be issued and stock cannot be updated.

We agreed that the shop Assistant would consult his Manager and I would return on the next tide..
No sale..The shop was unable to complete the sale because of a lack of information..I bought a similar system down in Falmouth, cash, in the Spring. I joined Truro library as a visitor to get access to the Internet but only to look at kit available as most on line company sales forms require info where I could not tick boxes, so buying on line was rarely possible.
Yes, I know it's possible as I did later, to get round the problem by using someone else's ID/ address ( an old mate) but not many people would allow that and also if you have do that..How independent and off grid are you really?

Don't even mention DVLC, Customs and Revenue (Tax) and Government Departments paying my pensions..some of them had Cardiac arrests when I wrote to them about different matters. " Please send replies to Luigi's Bar in Licata, Sicily or if after 1st June to Marina office in Kalamata, Greece, or my UK address and I'll answer in 8 months"...:lol:

. " Please send replies to Luigi's Bar in Licata, Sicily or if after 1st June to Marina office in Kalamata, Greece, or my UK address and I'll answer in 8 months"...:lol:
That made me smile, well it all did but that has me grinning :)

There are some rather obscure obstacles which appear sometimes when living outside 'The Mainstream'. They can be overcome, but still illustrate to me at least, that it can be difficult to simply cut all ties and everything becomes simple...It does not.
After my wife died and I retired I sold up..Bungalow on South Coast, Landy, gun collection, all furniture etc: Put my Moto Guzzi and a few momentos of a past life in a secure container and moved aboard my boat.

I spent a winter on a cheap pontoon berth moored in the River Fal in Cornwall.An hours row downstream from Truro, no phone or computer, just a ship's VHF radio for emergencies.

View attachment 31325

Spent the winter exploring the river and creeks in the dinghy, collecting wood for the boat stove and occasionally rowing up to Truro on the flood tide to buy stores, and back on the ebb.
I decided to fit a car radio/CD player as the boat was an all12 volt system, which is when the tentacles of ordinary life got in the way.
In the shop in Truro...email address?...err no...phone number?...home address? Hang on, I'm paying cash..but it's computerised sales and without the required info the guarantee cannot be issued and stock cannot be updated.

We agreed that the shop Assistant would consult his Manager and I would return on the next tide..
No sale..The shop was unable to complete the sale because of a lack of information..I bought a similar system down in Falmouth, cash, in the Spring. I joined Truro library as a visitor to get access to the Internet but only to look at kit available as most on line company sales forms require info where I could not tick boxes, so buying on line was rarely possible.
Yes, I know it's possible as I did later, to get round the problem by using someone else's ID/ address ( an old mate) but not many people would allow that and also if you have do that..How independent and off grid are you really?

Don't even mention DVLC, Customs and Revenue (Tax) and Government Departments paying my pensions..some of them had Cardiac arrests when I wrote to them about different matters. " Please send replies to Luigi's Bar in Licata, Sicily or if after 1st June to Marina office in Kalamata, Greece, or my UK address and I'll answer in 8 months"...:lol:
Doesn’t sound like it was easy, I guess there was rewarding times tho

Reactions: lol
Back