• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

My Ammo Tin Stove

speider

Slightly Talkative
There are a few stove tutorials knocking about on the internets, I jus' thought I'd share my version!

I cant figure out why my pictures are all wonky, I've double checked my files and they are all the right way around.

Anyway...

I started out with a plain old ammo tin from an army surplus for £6.50.
IMG_0051.jpg

Marked out the door and the hinges and drilled for riveting.
IMG_0052.jpg

Cut the door, mounted the hinges and the lock. I was forever fitting new discs to my dremmel so next time I'll try slitting discs.
IMG_0053.jpg

I was playing around with different ways to give it some ground clearance. I tried removable legs and folding ones but eventually settled on these rails which I found in the scrap pile at work, they started out life as carrying handles on plate compactors.
IMG_0054.jpg

So far. Top handle removed and sanded back.
IMG_0055.jpg

Test!
IMG_0056.jpg

I wanted to use it in my teepee. After an age of scrounging, I managed to lay my hands on a bit of flue that was destined for the scrap heap. Now that I had my diameter, I could set about fitting some sort of mounting to it. By sheer fluke, I found that a can of GT85 (like WD40 if you're not aware of it) was a perfect match for the inside diameter of the flue. I cut a tight fit hole to accept a section of the GT can and used heat proof silicone to fix it in place.
IMG_0061.jpg

It actually works, no-one was more surprised than I!
IMG_0062.jpg

As intended!
IMG_0063.jpg
IMG_0064.jpg

And that's about all. The whole thing was sealed with that heat proof silicone and sprayed with heat proof black paint, I've also fitted a rectangle of mesh to keep the fire from the base and improve airflow.

Apologies for the photos but I hope they all make sense.

Attachments

• IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0062.jpg
    IMG_0062.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 108
Hi Speider.

Excellent thread mate.

Done a good job on that stove, very tidy.

Also like the look of your shelter......what is it?

Thanks!!

Yeah, its fab when it gets going. I took it into the garage last winter when I was faffing and it heated it up pretty well.

I would love to make one, I made a stove from a mig bottle.
it was good as a heater but not as a cooker. It was for a camp in the teepea "never happened"

So plan"B" is to line it with ceramic and stainless to make the heat go up instead of into the bottle absobing the heat
Like a pizza oven dont know if this would work wasnt very unhappy at the time lol

Ho and the oven on the side of it don't help it.

So yes I would love two make a ammo tin stove. As yours looks excellent you are inspiring me to build.

Back