• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

My day pack

It will Dodat

Very Talkative
For me going camping is all about the small things. Often I’ll sit and watch tiny creatures just going about their daily business... So when I’m out camping I like to wander off for a half day, have some tucker, then mosey back to my base-camp. Bear in mind I mostly camp solo, off grid and as far from humanity as I can get.....

For this purpose I’ve put together a one day daypack in-case things go belly up and I get hurt / twist my ankle or the weather turns sour... And I have the depth to stretch the pack into 2 or even 3 days...

As is the case with all packs of whatever nature and intended purpose, weight is always a consideration.... I don’t know the weight; it seems light, but more importantly, at 60, I’m still comfortable with it at a mild walk pace for a day. That’s for me the telling weight factor... Am I comfortable with it....

In this regards, everybody’s different, so what’s ok for one person may be a burden to another.... Imperial weight’s just a guideline..... Anyway, that’s my logic.

The pack: - A Mil issue ammo chest-pack, that I’ve slightly modified the pouches to cope with bigger things like the water-bottle & canteen. I like the chest pack, puts the weight up-front, (Waaaay easier to bend forward than over backwards) and secondly, it’s compatible with my back-pack, (IE I can carry both) Wouldn’t like to... But I can...

First aid: - Needle / Imodium’s <for upset stomach> / antiseptic ointment / pre-watered down Dettol – Savlon / Plasters / scissors / surgical scissors clamp / lip balm / cotton swabs / And what’s supplied with the survival pack.... Reminds me I must get some of those plasters that function like stitches for deeper cuts...

Off the shelf survival kit: - Some items are length of para-chord / duct tape / fire striker / emergency space blanket / small folding knife / few safety pins / whistle / waterproof matches / a few first-aid items and such things... I’de rate it a “reasonable” survival kit, as usual with these “off the shelf kits” some of the thing a bit iffy – gimmicky, like the compass and fishing kit..... (If that’s what they’re called)

Self defence multipliers: - Pepper spray (Boy! Is this one a bitch) / 5” blade knife.. The blade extends through the core of the handle so it's a reasonably strong knife... Not a super duper one, Ok for the job (I think)...

Emergency: - Very loud small noise horn (this little bugger makes a monster of a noise and there is no way it can be confused with anything natural.... Does not take much effort to blow it either) / whistle /

Light: - Headlamp torch / rechargeable small tactical torch

Fire – heating – cooking: - Butane Lighter / fuel tablets / Esbit lightweight folding stove / stainless steel water-bottle canteen (use it as a pot – boil water ETC) / what comes with the survival kit, fire striker, waterproof matches and two ignitable fire maker’s

Sundry: - wet-wipes / 10 x 25 lightweight binoculars / few small cable ties / folding box-cutter knife / 5” blade knife / compass, pen & paper / cell phone / magnifying glass /

Food & water: - 1L water-bottle / instant soup / noodles / teabags - sweetener – powdered milk sachets

Shelter: - Military issue full size +- 2m x 2m waterproof groundsheet with 8m para-chord at each eyelet rolled up in a canvas holder. The canvas holder has clips that are compatible with the chest pack and it hooks onto the bottom of the chest pack. I can get a ridge shelter pitch quite quickly with my 2 walking sticks one at each end, the back end I close with the press studs and the front I peg open at the bottom... (see pic, the pic staged for illustrative reasons )

When I do use the day pack I add: - Type II diabetic meds, & tester / some glucose sweets and other perishable energy - foodstuffs / fresh water / concentrated mix-up-sugar-free coldrink.
I’ve taken the pack out on several occasions, fortunately never had to go into survival mode, and found it to be very adequate, stopping a few times on the way out and on the way back to brew up / have a few light snacks and generally have a restful day walk without having the “what-if” in the back of my mind..

Hope somebody finds something of value in the list, I’ve done quite a bit of scouting around to research what’s best to have on hand.. And if you want to shout or talk about something do let me know...

Value you chaps input....

Attachments

• compass.jpg
    compass.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 150
  • hiking-survival day pack kit cell, cable ties & compas.jpg
    hiking-survival day pack kit cell, cable ties & compas.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 143
  • hiking-survival day pack kit compact binoculars & soun horn..jpg
    hiking-survival day pack kit compact binoculars & soun horn..jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 161
  • hiking-survival day pack kit compact binoculars.jpg
    hiking-survival day pack kit compact binoculars.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 161
  • hiking-survival day pack kit medical supplies.jpg
    hiking-survival day pack kit medical supplies.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 236
  • hiking-survival day pack kit pepper spray, knife & ligter.jpg
    hiking-survival day pack kit pepper spray, knife & ligter.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 229
  • hiking-survival day pack kit provisions water & canteen.jpg
    hiking-survival day pack kit provisions water & canteen.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 247
  • hiking-survival day pack kit sheath knife.jpg
    hiking-survival day pack kit sheath knife.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 306
  • hiking-survival day pack kit torches tactical & head.jpg
    hiking-survival day pack kit torches tactical & head.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 271
  • hiking-survival day pack overview.jpg
    hiking-survival day pack overview.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 198
  • hiking-survival day pack straps on in front 01.jpg
    hiking-survival day pack straps on in front 01.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 348
  • hiking-survival pack kit survival kit.jpg
    hiking-survival pack kit survival kit.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 217
  • survival day pack kit compact binoculars specs.jpg
    survival day pack kit compact binoculars specs.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 162
  • survival day pack kit Esbit cooker & wet wipes.jpg
    survival day pack kit Esbit cooker & wet wipes.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 161
  • survival day pack kit shelter rolled up end.jpg
    survival day pack kit shelter rolled up end.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 159
  • survival day pack shelter closed end view.jpg
    survival day pack shelter closed end view.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 216
  • survival day pack shelter inside view.jpg
    survival day pack shelter inside view.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 231
  • survival day pack shelter rolled up 01.jpg
    survival day pack shelter rolled up 01.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 181
  • survival day pack shelter side view 01.jpg
    survival day pack shelter side view 01.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 179
  • survival day pack shelter with trekking pole.jpg
    survival day pack shelter with trekking pole.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 165
One thing I carry that I don't see in your kit Dodat is a small container of spray on plaster. not only do I use it for small cuts and abrasions but it can also be useful as a temporary splint for things like broken fingers. a couple of wraps of bandage round the finger then spray it with the plaster, keep repeating the procedure until you have a good thickness of dressing round the break It wont go completely hard but will give the protection you need

Looks like a good B.O.B. only things I can think of is a bandanna, sunblock and a signaling mirror :) I don'y know the areas you camp but there is a LOT of open country, wouldn't like to think I was stuck out for too long.

Hi Joecole

Now there’s a thing! Thanks indeed! Spray on plaster... never heard of it here, but then I’ve not been looking

Not only would that be darn useful when camping / hiking / on walkabout (hehehe) But as the company’s appointed para-medic that could be a really useful one to have on hand in my medical kit

THANKS INDEED! Will look out for it.

Hi Bop.... As you well know, SA’s sun can be something fierce...

Oooo I wouldn’t give my day pack a swollen head and call it a B.O.B.... It’s only a tiddly day-pack...

I never go out without a big wide brimmed hat that has a neck protector that is stuck onto the hat with Velcro... (The neck protector can double as a face-wash – wipe off rag). Oh, the hat also has a under-the-chin-draw chord for the wind.... Been there and done that... Chased the blooming hat....

Also wear sunglasses... Oh yes one other thing, as part of the kit I’ve got a pair of folding spectacles the same strength as the ones I wear.... That’s a pain.... having to change from sunglasses to ordinary glasses.....

SIGH..... Old age is not for sissies.....

Never used a bandanna though.....

Signalling mirror... Think that’s part of the “off the shelf” survival kit... (Not sure, so for now it’s not)... I’ll check, and yes sun-block’s also a really good un, although I smear the goo very liberally before I go....

Thanks for the suggestions!.....

Careful of overloading a chest rig as it can out a lot of strain on your lower back. They were designed largely for troops who were vehicle based or would be using vehicles on a regular basis where normal webbing was in the way.

Hi 38

Valid point, I've gone with at 60, at a reasonable pace, I'm still comfortable at the end of the day, so I recon what it weigh's is OK.... Although the list seems long, in actuality is pretty basic.

The Photo I took was when I tried it round my belly.... Not so good.... Have since gone back to around my chest, considerably more comfortable...

The weighty one is my GBHB... That's why I had a "lightbulb moment"and thought out the cart...

Back