• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

My first intentional kill

Poison is down now as he seems to be a bit more elusive, my first kill may have to wait

I doubt that this are wild rats.

In my opinion that are bored Ratus Norvegicus Domesticus, who look at this as a toy.

Where one wild rat can't escape from, you don't catch a second. The first one shouts or smells, because it's dead.

And wild rats would try to jump out until they are dead.

They are wild as hell when they fall in and drown........ Be some kind of sicko to drown domesticated pet rats wouldn't it.

They are stunt doubles.

Last edited:
A rat would be able to kick off and get out of that bucket pretty easily, it should have a funnel to prevent them jumping to freedom.
Under the protection of mammals act 2018 it would be an offense to drown them like that in the UK.

A rat would be able to kick off and get out of that bucket pretty easily, it should have a funnel to prevent them jumping to freedom.
Under the protection of mammals act 2018 it would be an offense to drown them like that in the UK.

"were going to need a deeper bucket" and deeper water to get over that problem.
Would the addition of a mini life saver ring attached to the outside of the bucket overcome the regulations.

If it were in our house causing mischief it would be in the bucket...... No hesitation.

No worse than a lingering death from poison.

"were going to need a deeper bucket" and deeper water to get over that problem.
Would the addition of a mini life saver ring attached to the outside of the bucket overcome the regulations.

If it were in our house causing mischief it would be in the bucket...... No hesitation.

No worse than a lingering death from poison.
Just telling it how it is; there is a long list of acceptable traps for vermin. I'm only making the point because I can't endorse breaking animal welfare legislation on a public forum.
The most effective rat trap I've ever seen was a variation on a mole tunnel trap used in India. Made from fishing line and a short length of plastic drain pipe. (Also not acceptable in the uk as its not selective enough)

As I wrote:

They are nearly like us.

If you have to kill them, you must kill them fast. The best working killing trap is the old simple thing, that breaks the neck.

That's like a hunter's shot.

Poison is really cruel too.
They die very slowly if poisoned.

If you use an ultra violet light to trace the rat's dried urine trails (they're known to widdle in order to mark routes) you can then find their main pathways. This can make setting your traps much more effective and allow you to block up where they're entering your home

Can't say for sure if they picked it up from the cat but our dugs used to be fascinated with the cat playing with a mouse now they're into mousing themselves. They're a pair of Flat Coats so not really built for it but will root out any mice in the fields. Would imagine they would be the same with rats.
If they hunt mice they do it from alone.

But should they really play with the dead mice, they surely picked it up from the cat.

If the cat is older than the dog, it had a function of an aunt or uncle. And they copy the behaviour. It's the same in the other direction and even stronger.
Cats who grew up with dogs really behave a bit like dogs.

My rats started in the end to eat out of only one hand, like I eat my bread. That was absolutely fascinating to me. Even that small guys are quiet similar to us and copy human behaviour. After a while they lie on the back, like we do it on a sofa. No young domesticated or wild rat does it. But old domesticated rats see us, try it out and discover that it is very comfortable and so they copy the behaviour.
In the end the rat lies around at the sofa when I do it, eats his bread with one hand when I do it, sleeps in my sleeping bag when I do it.
Everybody knows this from dogs, but most mammals copy as much as they can.

The more I know different species very well the less I believe in big differences between us and them. Goat and sheep are quiet similar to us too. Even parrots and crows!
My dogs also join in with the cats when they're hunting rats and mice but their real passion is hunting voles, they must taste better. The rabbits and squirrels are also up there when it comes to what interests my pets.
The most deadly mousers are actually my chickens...it's like watching little dinosaurs.

But as I wrote:

If you want to get rid of the rats, get out where they live and dig them out!

They will run away, and it's fine!

The farmers in this video we have seen want to protect theyr acres. If you want to protect your garden, just hunt them somewhere else!

The world is full of rats, you can't do anything against them. So just hunt them to your neighbours or back in the forest!

Rats sometimes become a problem, if they live next to you. If you destroyed theyr house the problem doesn't exist any more!

Had a problem with Rats in the past. As Ystanc has said the thing is to place the traps on their runs. A good Fenn trap or a nice big live trap will do the job, however, they do take a while to get used to something new in their environment. Problem with a live trap is you'll need to finish them off humanely once they're in there. Mice are partial to sprouting peas as well, so I'd put a few little nippers down baited with some peanut butter or nutella. Just in case;) The disease-ridden barstewards need getting rid of.

Last edited:
With a lunch time glass of wine and some very fine French cheese, I open the fridge hearing (scratch scratch scratch) a peek underneath does do find a furry looking creature not but 6 inches from my face. A quick unzipping of a certain bag gives Sabrina (Rifles name) her first kill.

James 2 Rat 1

PS

2 quick shots at VERY close range, could see OK and got good/moderate head hits it was a bit cramped. Moved fridge out, yes lesson learnt do not be so dirty !!!, another quick pellet in head to make sure, however after that i thought job was done but no the back legs were moving still being a newbie at the hunting side is that P1310154.JPG

Back