• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

My hammock sleep system - Seeking advice

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
Ok so last Feb what I had was:
  • OneTigris hammock (this has only a single layer of material on the underside and a midge net)
  • Snugpak underblanket
and inside the hammock:
  • Foam roll mat
  • BA arctic bag
  • Trespass sleeping bag liner
Wearing:
  • Thermals, wool socks and hat
(and I was still cold around the shoulders and feet)

Now, getting in and settled I found rather troublesome with trying to pull the liner up high enough and the roll mat moving beneath me.
I also change position from left to right side sleeping often throughout the night which seemed to encourage the roll mat to twist and 'ruck' (fold)

So, I was wondering what you lot would advise?
I wondered about a hammock with 2 layers beneath, between which I could put the roll mat or inflatable mat(?)
Maybe a wool blanket under and over the bag instead of the liner?

I'm open to any options however my budget is pretty non-existent so will be relying on putting this stuff on my Christmas wish list for others to buy me :)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2018-02-11 20.18.56.jpg
    2018-02-11 20.18.56.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 98
I use both TW and DD Hammocks. They both have a double lower layer and mosquito net. I put an ex army self inflating mattress between the layers which provides additional insulation and helps to keep the hammock spread. I use a snugpak under-blanket and a 98 pattern arctic army sleeping bag.
In summer I use a snugpak hammock quilt in place of the bag. Not been cold yet and been down to minus 5 in that set up. The mattress is only 2/3rds length and rolls up very small when deflated. The sleeping bag is a bit bulky but goes in the rucksack when I use a compression sack. The quilt goes down as small as the under blanket. Hope that helps.

Ok so last Feb what I had was:
  • OneTigris hammock (this has only a single layer of material on the underside and a midge net)
  • Snugpak underblanket
and inside the hammock:
  • Foam roll mat
  • BA arctic bag
  • Trespass sleeping bag liner
Wearing:
  • Thermals, wool socks and hat
(and I was still cold around the shoulders and feet)

Now, getting in and settled I found rather troublesome with trying to pull the liner up high enough and the roll mat moving beneath me.
I also change position from left to right side sleeping often throughout the night which seemed to encourage the roll mat to twist and 'ruck' (fold)

So, I was wondering what you lot would advise?
I wondered about a hammock with 2 layers beneath, between which I could put the roll mat or inflatable mat(?)
Maybe a wool blanket under and over the bag instead of the liner?

I'm open to any options however my budget is pretty non-existent so will be relying on putting this stuff on my Christmas wish list for others to buy me :)

Thanks in advance!
To keep the roll mat in position put it inside your sleeping bag rather than under it

I know what you mean about the ccf mat moving, I used to have that, now if using a similar set up to you I put the ccf in-between layers, I then have my inflatable mat and sleeping bag inside a BA bivvy, keeps everything where it's needed, adds an extra layer of wind resistance etc, of course all that is about to change with the purchase of a snugpak cocoon, I'll be using that soon so can let you know my thoughts on it in time fro the trip.

Actually I do have a BA goretex bivvy and now struggling to remember if I used it. I'll need to replay my videos and have a look. lol

I have that hammock, very nice it is to for the price it's a steal.

Hi Gizmo, all my hammocks have the mosquito net. Keeps the bugs out and gives a little wind cover. When not needed I have used the hammock upside down and let the net hang.

Aaah! Matt has mistaken my meaning on the last post. I meant that you intentionally use the hammock upside down. I believe Matt is alluding to an instance where after an excess of cider I inadvertently ended up hanging in my mosquito net beneath the hammock. Slightly embarrassed and wiser.

Paul, I looked at the TW site and they appear to have reduced their range significantly. I have two of their Hornet hammocks which have a double skin base and mozzy net. They don't appear to sell the hornet now. The dd equivalent is the Frontline. My dd hammock is the large one with curved support hoops to hold the net up. They are expensive but I got mine for £38 on ebay second hand. Might be worth looking on ebay. But be careful.

Well since I'd only need the net for summer and the double skin for winter I might just go for the TW XL.

I'm wondering about an inflatable mat also and/or a wool blanket.
This extra large one is 80% wool LINK

The biggest factor while hammocking is the wind chill from below, if you can stop that whilst adding some insulation you're getting there, I used to own a top of the range down underquilt, that thing was toastie warm at sub zero coupled with a down bag.

Didn't @Madriverrob put a link up to a waterproof quilt a while back?
Could maybe use that in the hammock @G1ZmO ??
A wool blanket is good but might be a bugger to dry IF you have water ingress?

Didn't @Madriverrob put a link up to a waterproof quilt a while back?
Could maybe use that in the hammock @G1ZmO ??
A wool blanket is good but might be a bugger to dry IF you have water ingress?

It was the Costco down blanket if I remember correctly , often modified by hammockers to make under blankets ...........
Not waterproof I don't think ........

Back