• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

My hammock sleep system - Seeking advice

a good tip for you Paul try not wearing any socks when in your hammock. I found they make your feet cold. let your bag do the work.

Sleeping Socks have to be dry, woolen, no cotton, and not to tight!

-----------------

Did I understand right, that you used the standard British Army Goretex Bivvy Bag IN YOUR HAMMOCKS???

I asked my self, if it's possible to do that and to let the Tarp away. Did anyone do this???

Sleeping Socks have to be dry, woolen, no cotton, and not to tight!

-----------------

Did I understand right, that you used the standard British Army Goretex Bivvy Bag IN YOUR HAMMOCKS???

I asked my self, if it's possible to do that and to let the Tarp away. Did anyone do this???

Yes, a bivvy inside a hammock, you understood right, it adds an extra barrier for wind protection and also an extra layer to trap heat, I've seen but not tried yet a method of sticking a bag in the bottom of the bivvy to raise it off the sleeping bag to create a dead air space to trap more warm air.

Thanks!

I will try it. I thought it would be far to complicated to come in an out of the MOD Bivvy when it's in the hammock. So, with the zipped Snugpack SF Bivvy it shouldn't be a Problem I guess.

-----------

Avoid free Air between Bivvy and Sleeping Bag! The bivvy is working the best if the fabrik is directly on the sleeping bag.

If not you will get condensation problems in most conditions. The bivvy will become whet from inside.

That's why the military bivvies with pole arcs over the head don't work as comfortable as beginners think, when they buy it.
(On top of this users are forced to breath in the bag, what of course brings horrible results.)

No, the way I understood it was that the head end was still as per usual, just from the footbox end up over was the lofted air space ?

Yes, surely not as bad as a snipers bivvy bag.

But that doesn't work with a Goretex bivvy or some thing similar.
The temperature becomes to low between sleeping bag and bivvy bag. Water will condensate inside the bivvy.

Somebody in a german trekking forum bought the Snugpack SF bivvy and used it with a civil sleeping bag. He got condensation at the feed. With the well fitting SF 1 sleeping bag I never got Problems like this.
Civil sleeping bags usually are tighter than the SF 1.
If you produce artificial a space in between, Im pretty sure, you will get problems.

I own the Snugpack SF bivvy bag and the standard british military Goreyex bivvy bag. They transport moisture more or less the same effective. (The Snugpack is far lighter)

(Even with a cotton bivvy I am not sure, if it would be a good idea.)

That could perhaps work in relatively warm conditions, but I think it doesn't work around 5*C and lower.

Back