• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

My Homemade MRE

instructor

Very Talkative
I have been looking at the high prices of British Army MRE Ration Packs (About £10+ along with postage!) and I decided to opt for making my own for my bug out bag.

All of these items I bought from Asda yesterday / today so these are current prices. I would recommend using a vacuum sealer or Mylar bags with o2 absorbers to make these feasible, otherwise the shelf life I predict is probably not going to be reached due to the nature of some of the items.

Anyway, let’s begin, please note numbers after names are Calories, then price!
Breakfast
8 x Belvita Biscuits 445 £0.76
Coffee Sachet 75 £0.14
Lunch
Cup a Soup 90 £0.10
Dinner
Mugshot Pasta 307 £0.68
Lemon + Black pepper tuna tins x 2 340 £1.10
Snacks
Boost bar 305 £0.25
Kendal mint cake 85g 350 £0.88
Pumpkin seeds 566 £0.55
Straberry lances 300 £0.33
Coffee sachet 75 £0.14

So this leads to a total cost of £4.93 and a whopping 2853 calories!

I have also got three vacuum sealed bags of peanuts, raisins and chocolate drops which I would also chuck into the bug out bag, these contain a staggering 1750 calories for only £0.99 and will last for ages in the vacuum seal!

I'll add as well, my MRE weighs about 870g, where as a normal British Army one weighs 1750g and also its technically not an MRE as it requires water and minimal heating, but I have both of those in my BOB so nothing to worry about really!

If you look at the calorie content of a British ration pack at about 4000 then you may find that your MRE works out as less of a bargain, depending on how much you are paying. Also the quality of some of the latest meals is very very high, if someone served me the paella in a china bowl in a restaurant then I wouldn't complain, some of the curries are also very very good.

Don't let that stop you from experimenting though, your menus looks good enough but I know what I would prefer to live on for weeks at a time (although I'm not paying for it)!

Back