• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

My knife and sheath I made.

adarama

Slightly Talkative
Hi
I just thought you,d like to see my efforts,

the knife is O1 carbon steel, 3mm thick flat stock, handle is Camel bone, with brass pins.

Veg tanned leather sheath, wet formed around the knife.

Attachments

• IMG_20140802_125511.jpg
    IMG_20140802_125511.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 110
hiya

Yes everything in the picture was made from scratch. I also heat treated the blade in the back garden.

That's a beauty mate. I'm curious what the notch at the start of the blade is for?

That's a beauty mate. I'm curious what the notch at the start of the blade is for?

The notch is to help with the sharpening to the edge of the blade, this also prevents the sharpening stone taking some of the choil away.

nice, im building my first knife as a winter project this year, i now have all the bits except a blank.

Its a great thing to do,

what sort of steel are you going for?

what are your scales made of? how ar you fixing to the knife.

im not a lover of carbon steel and i use only stainless, so will i probably go for 440c blank as its a budget and first knife build project, i have got cocobola scales and will will use screw together rivet pins, i will have a go a wet forming some veg tan leather for the sheath.

sounds good, make sure you wear a face mask to sand the scales, its a beautiful hard wood, but nasty stuff to breath in!!

im not a lover of carbon steel and i use only stainless, so will i probably go for 440c blank as its a budget and first knife build project, i have got cocobola scales and will will use screw together rivet pins, i will have a go a wet forming some veg tan leather for the sheath.

I am curious to know why m8? I quite like carbon steel myself - I'm guessing you may have had a bad experience with it? :)

the rust and maintenance issue mainly, also high end stainless hold a better edge for longer

Back