• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

My old haunt is burning.

WolfsHead

Extremely Talkative
I've been particularly upset to see one of my favourite places in the world has been devastated by some horrible little scrote.

Before I moved South with work I spent a hell of a lot of time in Rivington amd angelzarke moors. To see that they've been deliberately set on fire is particularly upsetting. I have some incredibly fond memories of that area throughout my entire life but probably my favourite was going up there with my 2 best friends one winter when true to the name of its most promiment feature "winter hill" there was snow everywhere and we spent a great day walking up the many icicle laden gullies and over the moorland. Also with one of the same 2 people tracking down and finding a border terrier puppy whose panicked owner apporached us after it had run off into the fog after a fell runner.

I deeply hope the landscape and environment recover.

I've been particularly upset to see one of my favourite places in the world has been devastated by some horrible little scrote.

Before I moved South with work I spent a hell of a lot of time in Rivington amd angelzarke moors. To see that they've been deliberately set on fire is particularly upsetting. I have some incredibly fond memories of that area throughout my entire life but probably my favourite was going up there with my 2 best friends one winter when true to the name of its most promiment feature "winter hill" there was snow everywhere and we spent a great day walking up the many icicle laden gullies and over the moorland. Also with one of the same 2 people tracking down and finding a border terrier puppy whose panicked owner apporached us after it had run off into the fog after a fell runner.

I deeply hope the landscape and environment recover.
I will recover up to a point Wolf but irreparable damage will probably have been done and all because some yob couldn't keep his lighter in his pocket

I'm originally from the Stalybridge /Carrbrook area, played all over those moors as a youngster , beautiful part of the country .
Good Luck to all those fighting the fire ..........

It will be back to normal within two years, the real issue will be preventing erosion in the mean time.

It’s little understood (or at least reported) in the media that many forms of moorland is dependant in periodic burning through wild fires to replenish itself. We are concerned because of the impact on us but it’s nature sorting itself out.

We had a similar situation after the exhausts of a tilt rotor troop transport set fire to MOD moorland near my home...the problem is that these fires were exacerbated by leaving too long between burns leaving too much fuel in the form of old dry wood. There were too few fire brakes in the form of ditches or paths...poor access and no local water source...the extreme heat just allowed a perfect storm.
The major problem now is that so much moorland burned at the same time leaving very little habitat and wiping out an entire generation of game birds as well as wildlife. That's it for this year, the peat will burn until we get enough rain to saturate it.

Back