• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

My Parang collection

TWBryan

Very Talkative
Not sure if it's of any interest, but took pics of parangs today and wanted to share.

Attachments

• long parangs.jpg
    long parangs.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 87
  • short parangs.jpg
    short parangs.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 83
Depends on how long you want to chop. ;) In general the short parangs can be considered thinner, safer hatchets. You should not have issues cutting 3-4" logs, or splitting foot-long sections of same.

Ancient history. Doing a clearout of my office today I found this. Not a parang but a regular machete. An artifact of my Congo expeditions in the 1980s. No idea I still had it. Most handy slogging through the Ituri basin and ā€˜Darkest Africaā€™ (Am I allowed to say that in these more enlightened times?).

I might actually sand the rust and sharpen for continuing use in the rainforests of my home...

E45C916F-FD3D-4219-8E1D-AFADBB2560EB.jpeg

Very neat looking old Martindale. What kind of hide is that wrapped on the handle?
Wow, never knew it was called a martindale. Thatā€™s just grip tape on the handleā€¦been there 35 yearsā€¦It was retired following my final trip into ā€˜dinosaur landā€™ in the year of our Lord 1988 AD. Found it again on the weekend.

Lot of history to that piece. Seen itā€™s share of sweat tears and unfortunately, bloodā€¦

I should investigate its restoration guided by those who have knowledge about such things

Alan

It looks like my Martindale No2 Golok. I just made it a new canvas sheath as the old one had disintegrated. Mine is just a branch lopper but I like things shiny.

It looks like my Martindale No2 Golok. I just made it a new canvas sheath as the old one had disintegrated. Mine is just a branch lopper but I like things shiny.
Hey just looked up ā€˜Martindale Golokā€™ online and thatā€™s certainly what it looks like to me. Mine lacks the crocodile stamp on the blade though. How interesting that it is still manufactured and soldā€¦? I would love to sand the blade back to shiny. Itā€™s still pretty sharp and the visible corrosion is only superficial.

Thanks for the information.

Alan

Martindale say they stamp all theirs with their crocodile badge and also have three grooves on the blade; they also make them exclusively with a 13ā€ blade. There are a lot of similar machetes which are generally marketed as ā€œMartindale/British army styleā€ which tend to have a shorter blade and are often sold in the outer sheath of a SA80 bayonet scabbard. As long as it cuts what you want it to cut then itā€™s probably not an issue.

Iā€™ve not got either as someone stole mine but as I found it in a forestry block in Germany itā€™s not as annoying as it would have been if I paid for it!

Nice collection.

Have you ever tried a Skramaseax? Now that bad boy is like a golok on steroids'!

Back