• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

My Successful Sunday Story, 3 years in the making...

It will Dodat

Very Talkative
stretcher mod e with mosquito net up.jpg
If there is one thing I like to when I’m camping, that is to sleep outside under the stars....

To lie under the sleeping bag and watch the constellations of Orion / Taurus / Libra / Scorpio slowly spiral across the night sky, and the Southern cross spin round on its axis as if it where magically connected to the earth at the South pole........ Listening to the animals of the night, and watch as things grow slowly lighter in the pre-dawn...... Then to see the sun begin to just peek above the horizon, growing into a full yellow orb, warming everything....

That for me is one of the greatest delights of camping outdoors.......

Problem is, so do the Mosquitoes..... And all the other nasty stingy / bite-y / SHREEK!-ey things that are only too willing to evict you and take up residence in a nice warm comfy .....

With this in mind, what.... 3 years ago, at a roadside junk auction, I spotted this mosquito net and proudly took it home for some ridiculously small amount of money...

I only realised afterwards that it works in conjunction with a stretcher, the stretcher holds the spring steel uprights in-place

Problem with all stretchers is that they are all too narrow for me as I like to sleep on my side with my legs curled up, so that means my knees rest on one pole and my bum lies in the curve of the mat... quite uncomfortable...

The other thing about modern stretchers is that they are too high to fit into a small 2 man tent

But all that was to change on Friday... I popped in at a second hand shop and low-and-behold they had an older camping stretcher that is low to the ground, 800mm wide & 2m long....

I snapped it up faster than a chicken picking up a corn seed.....

So on Sunday morning, (My usual camping stuff letsgofixitup routine) I put the mosquito net and the stretcher together as a unit.

Involved cutting extensions for the stretcher poles, drilling a hole in the extensions for the mosquito net up-right’s to go through, and snip-snip-Bob’s your aunt....

I can now sleep outside in peace.... Not meant for hiking / walkabout, but jolly nice when I’m static camping or car camping.....

Attachments

• stretcher mod a.jpg
    stretcher mod a.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 143
  • stretcher mod b extentions.jpg
    stretcher mod b extentions.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 151
  • stretcher mod d mosquito net pushed into ground.jpg
    stretcher mod d mosquito net pushed into ground.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 125
  • stretcher mod e mosquito net tie off.jpg
    stretcher mod e mosquito net tie off.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 136
  • stretcher mod f end view, uprights at angle.jpg
    stretcher mod f end view, uprights at angle.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 185
View attachment 13640If there is one thing I like to when I’m camping, that is to sleep outside under the stars....

To lie under the sleeping bag and watch the constellations of Orion / Taurus / Libra / Scorpio slowly spiral across the night sky, and the Southern cross spin round on its axis as if it where magically connected to the earth at the South pole........ Listening to the animals of the night, and watch as things grow slowly lighter in the pre-dawn...... Then to see the sun begin to just peek above the horizon, growing into a full yellow orb, warming everything....

That for me is one of the greatest delights of camping outdoors.......

Problem is, so do the Mosquitoes..... And all the other nasty stingy / bite-y / SHREEK!-ey things that are only too willing to evict you and take up residence in a nice warm comfy .....

With this in mind, what.... 3 years ago, at a roadside junk auction, I spotted this mosquito net and proudly took it home for some ridiculously small amount of money...

I only realised afterwards that it works in conjunction with a stretcher, the stretcher holds the spring steel uprights in-place

Problem with all stretchers is that they are all too narrow for me as I like to sleep on my side with my legs curled up, so that means my knees rest on one pole and my bum lies in the curve of the mat... quite uncomfortable...

The other thing about modern stretchers is that they are too high to fit into a small 2 man tent

But all that was to change on Friday... I popped in at a second hand shop and low-and-behold they had an older camping stretcher that is low to the ground, 800mm wide & 2m long....

I snapped it up faster than a chicken picking up a corn seed.....

So on Sunday morning, (My usual camping stuff letsgofixitup routine) I put the mosquito net and the stretcher together as a unit.

Involved cutting extensions for the stretcher poles, drilling a hole in the extensions for the mosquito net up-right’s to go through, and snip-snip-Bob’s your aunt....

I can now sleep outside in peace.... Not meant for hiking / walkabout, but jolly nice when I’m static camping or car camping.....
If it works mate then it has to be right. By now you must need a warehouse to store all your kit:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hi Jacole:thumbsup:

Hehehehehe:rofl:

There’s something on the cook way away in the back of my mind....

Something along the lines of

Teach youngster’s (around 18 – 22) how to “wilderness” / camp... each has their own tent each must rustle up the grub they are given, each sub group must dig & manage their own pit latrine & solar heat their own shower water...

Daily lessons in wild life / emergency measures / what’s needed in a day pack / how to construct emergency shelter / with competitions & points being awarded...

Perhaps I can put all this “stuff” to good use someday......

Teach youngster’s (around 18 – 22) how to “wilderness” / camp... each has their own tent each must rustle up the grub they are given, each sub group must dig & manage their own pit latrine & solar heat their own shower water...

Daily lessons in wild life / emergency measures / what’s needed in a day pack / how to construct emergency shelter / with competitions & points being awarded...

That would work very well if you could pry them away from their play stations

Why not mate:thumbsup: South Africa is second from top on my places to visit. Maby look you up when I eventually go :D

Back