• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

My Views On Carrying Modern Gadgets.

Agreed John is an excellent teacher. I had the honour of being taught by him a few years ago.

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0702-1.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

I'd suggest learning how to make an impromptu basic Knife from Stones is worth learning.

He's a very good teacher Prime, I've also met him, as is Ray Mears, did some courses at Woodlore when he was still instructing (me and the wife did the courses). Rays courses were a nice change from the purely survival oriented courses I did in the army...a different slant on similar situations to a certain extent.

Making impromptu knives is a good idea for new preppers and not just making a knife but also looking at things that can be used as a blade for skinning et al; a piece of broken glass can quite easily skin a rabbit. This goes back to looking at what you find and what 'new' uses you can find for what is one man's junk... into your useful tool.

He's a very good teacher Prime,.

Yes I know , and agree completely.

I've also met him, as is Ray Mears, did some courses at Woodlore when he was still instructing (me and the wife did the courses). Rays courses were a nice change from the purely survival oriented courses I did in the army...a different slant on similar situations to a certain extent.

Making impromptu knives is a good idea for new preppers and not just making a knife but also looking at things that can be used as a blade for skinning et al; a piece of broken glass can quite easily skin a rabbit. This goes back to looking at what you find and what 'new' uses you can find for what is one man's junk... into your useful tool.

I'd agree completely with your last paragraph - also for another reason , after one has located , made and used a Flint / Stone Knife or Tool when one is then presented with even a basic knife such as a Mora ( Still my first and only choice ) then one is not in a mind phase of always seeking ' the next best knife ' syndrome which befalls many.

The Glass and Rubbish is a really good point also. Look to utilise what you have , not bitch about what you don't.

We on the same course butchered a Deer with just a Piece of Flint roughly knapped - remember we are looking for FUNCTIONAL not FLAWLESS.

Back