• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

NAme that "shroom" part 2

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
Different ones are popping up all over the place at the moment, I
P1250102.JPG
P1250103.JPG
P1250104.JPG
think these may be edible, second opinions always a good idea.

Those are parasol mushrooms, there are at least two types, one is very good to eat while the other, though edible can cause an upset stomach for some people.

I now have a problem, tried half of 1 fried in a bit of oil and salt n pep................. hopefully wont die!

votes please is it field or parasol???

When you're asking for identification of fungi it is useful to give details of what habitat it growing in, a clear colour picture of the underside, side view and top of the mushroom. If you have a sharp knife cutting it in half to show if the stem is solid and whether or not the flesh of the mushroom discolours or smells of anything.
This is all information that is key to proper identification.
Never eat any fungi that you're not absolutely sure of, get a good identification book such as Mushrooms by Roger Phillips... After all, some bloke on the inter-web could be bullshitting that they know or just plain wrong...

The ring on the stem of a parasol mushroom is much more obvious (like in your photos) than a field mushroom and the stem becomes quite woody as they open.

Many thanks. will DEFO not take risks..... not dead BTW........if I am dead you have bigger problems than me you are talking to me after all!!!!

I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!

I’m with Ystranc, seriously don’t take one persons advice who for all you know has no idea at all about the subject (not a dig at you Joe Cole, just a generalisation) especially not when we’re talking fungi. It really could be a life or death decision, most fungi will at worst rough you up a bit but some are absolutely fatal, no ifs or buts about it and apparently some of the most deadly taste wonderful. Do your self a favour and buy a few good books or even better find a foraging course on the subject, I’m not meaning to sound patronising but your life genuinely could depend on it. I country born and bred and as such I’m quite happy with foraging, living off the land etc but fungi still make me very nervous, I need to be damned sure I’ve got a positive ID before they touch my or my families lips :thumbsup:

Many thanks all!! advice I will most certainly keep in mind, easily another 10 different mushrooms popping up and if in doubt, even the smallest doubt, in the bin it will go!

Back