• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Need help, need someone with lathe

Ok. It’s late at night and my kids don’t let me have a lot of sleep but if you’re prepared to drop your belt speed a little I may be able to help. My little Clarke 1x30 runs at 13.5M/S which I think equates to about 2700 FPS which seems more than capable to say the least (post ht you’ll want a slower belt speed anyway). An 8 inch wheel has a circumference of roughly 25 inches. I’m pretty sure I have a couple of feet of en8 steel but I think it’s 6 inch diameter so just under 19 inch circumference which is 76% of the 8incher which should equate to about 2200 FPS. If that would be any use let me know and we should be able to come to an arrangement ;)
Like I say I’m half asleep and I’ve done the maths in my head so could be way out but if it’s any help there’s a slice there

Bionic that sounds good I will have to do a bit of research on belt speeds but most I have seen are around 2800 to 3000fps
My plan was to get it as fast as I could because I will be fitting a speed controller to the motor so able to slow after HT
yes 6" would give me 2245fps so could do the trick

I’ll have a root about in the workshop tomorrow and see if I can dig it out. I’m not sure I’ll have time to turn it down but if it’s any use I can send some your way or to divebuddy if he’s ok with that

Done a little research on belt speeds and they say for beginners the slower the better as its more forgiving so 6" wheel at 2245 sfpm may be fine for me at the moment until I learn the machine then all I have to do in the future is upgrade to an 8" wheel giving me 2995 sfps and if I want more and start using ceramic belts which require even more speed I may have to change the motor out.
Once my grinder is made I will be looking to make a forge for heat treating the knife blanks lol
Got to say I am enjoying learning all about this until last week only thing knew about a motor was the voltage :)

Just checked and I’m afraid the steel I was thinking about is only 100mm diameter so presumably a no go sorry. To be honest the link 1 shot willie has posted above looks pretty hard to beat and I was under the impression that rubber backed wheels run more smoothly :)

Just checked and I’m afraid the steel I was thinking about is only 100mm diameter so presumably a no go sorry. To be honest the link 1 shot willie has posted above looks pretty hard to beat and I was under the impression that rubber backed wheels run more smoothly :)

Thanks for looking mate, sure I will find one soon that will post to the UK at a reasonable cost.

Spot on Gazo.

Good luck with it.....hope you get what you need soon........ and look forward to some pictures of the completed set up 👍

Back