• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Need of Advice

BR4DLEY

Very Talkative
I've always been interested in going camping in the wild with a friend but i don't know where to go
In England are you able to camp anywhere or would i need to look into detail for the specific area?

I've always been interested in going camping in the wild with a friend but i don't know where to go
In England are you able to camp anywhere or would i need to look into detail for the specific area?
There are a few places like Dartmoor or you ca go covert, but the best way to find a local landowner and ask permission in return for doing a few jobs such as litter picking or mending a few damaged fences etc. Also bear I mind our policy of leaving no trace or very little evidence that you've been there

There are a few places like Dartmoor or you ca go covert, but the best way to find a local landowner and ask permission in return for doing a few jobs such as litter picking or mending a few damaged fences etc. Also bear I mind our policy of leaving no trace or very little evidence that you've been there
Thats part of the country code

And ok dont know if ill find any land owners but i might see if my friend wants to camp in his land he owns a few acres of woods himself

The whole of Dartmoor you can wild camp BUT there are a few rules 1 not be seen from a road 2 No fires 3 no camping in or near historic remains/buildings 3 Forestry Commission places might be one or two others but there's 365 miles of it enjoy and respect cause its my back garden

The whole of Dartmoor you can wild camp BUT there are a few rules 1 not be seen from a road 2 No fires 3 no camping in or near historic remains/buildings 3 Forestry Commission places might be one or two others but there's 365 miles of it enjoy and respect cause its my back garden

Technically not the whole dartmoor. There are some areas excluded - interactive Dartmoor camping map may help. Can be found on a Dartmoor website.

That’s a big back garden bob:D

Sad to say that even though Dartmoor is just up the road from me I have spent very little time up there "wild camping"......apart from training at Oakhampton battle camp in February 1970.........a miserable experience but fun.......the kit we had back then was pretty poor.......there were no choices......... as issued kit was the only option and was enforced vigorously.....unless you were part of the training teams:rolleyes: :D

The main thing that puts me off of Dartmoor is the fact that fires are not allowed ( fully understand the reasons for that ) and agree with the policy.
To me having a small contained fire OFF of the ground is a huge part of my outdoor enjoyment........a must:rofl:
Used to have the use and permission in of a couple of big woods to get out in......sadly the owners got a bit twitchy and did not want to encourage others to follow suit......so it was stopped :(

Stunning and beautiful place Dartmoor :thumbsup:

A must admit a fire is a must for me to. Nothing like a fire pit made with your own hands and then used for cooking and warmth :thumbsup:

A can understand why such an area would have a no fire policy as it’s free to camp and vast. There are only a few places I know of that allow fires up this way. The loch I visit regularly allows fire pits to be built. They are however frowned apon....as they give you a 24 hour permit they can’t stop you but they do challenge the fact and once they know your face they leave you alone lol (understandable)

Back