• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

nettle pakora

Xylaria

Slightly Addicted
A recipe from the summer meet. most of you that attended got to eat this at the hog roast.

nettle tops including seeds
chana /chickpea/besan flour [that is three differant names for the same flour (tescos sells it in the ethnic section)]
garem masala
cumin seed
pinch of salt
pinch of bicarb
oil for frying

Pick a good size volume of nettles. Chop leaves finely, remove any stalks. Push and seeds off stalks. Add to bowl. Then add about half by volume of basan flour. Add teaspoon on garam masala, teaspoon cumin seed, and pinch salt and pinch of bicarb. Meanwhile, Heat 1cm of oil/fat in pan over reasonably hot fire. mix dry ingredants. slowly add water until mix forms a thick paste. Form into balls about an inch in diameter. Fry until brown.

I must admit I was a bit 'hmm, nettles?' when you were passing these around, but when I got over myself and actually tried one they were really tasty :goodjob:

I must admit I was a bit 'hmm, nettles?' when you were passing these around, but when I got over myself and actually tried one they were really tasty :goodjob:

Glad you enjoyed them at least you only get to eat weeds now and again I,ve got to live with her weeds and more weeds, today she found a huge buletus in Tescos car park which promptly cooked into a soup for dinner

Glad you enjoyed them at least you only get to eat weeds now and again I,ve got to live with her weeds and more weeds, today she found a huge buletus in Tescos car park which promptly cooked into a soup for dinner

An emergency pasty is on its way to you from Cornwall :)

Lurid bolete from tescos, it was stewed up with some rarer dodgy salami left over from camping tasted lovely. It is a bit of dodgy mushroom anyway.

Back