• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New and learning North East UK

NKari

Slightly Talkative
Hello
New here and getting back into some camping. I'm from the Northeast UK (Middlesbrough). Interests including hiking, camping and wild comping. I don’t really have much gear currently so would be grateful for some input on cost effective equipment. I have purchased some already and will post more when it all arrives and get feedback. No opposed to paying out for things that are good quality and will last with proper care.

Would be interested to maybe meet up for walks and groups. I've seen some already on here and other places so hoping to get along to them.

Curious also on people's thoughts on Bushcraft courses and if there are any ran up here in the north? I've seen some for down south.

Hi NKari and welcome to the forum. I'm based in the NW and can put you in touch with some local bushcraft groups, mostly in Yorshire, if that's your bag.
There are some members from the NE that may pick up on your post and can add to my suggestions.
If you check out the meets we have on here, next one in April, I have offered some bushcraft training and skill-sharing sessions that are all free of charge.
Cost effective gear: Depends on what you are after. Clothes, rucksacks, tent, hammock & tarps, what are you looking to get? Once we know that there are plenty of people here who can point you in the right direction.

Also keep an eye on the forums, there are sometimes members who are selling off quality gear.. The April meet is at my place in mid Wales… All modern amenities 🚽🚿 and Paul is a reasonably patient instructor 😉

Hello and welcome from the North Yorkshire Coast ( Whitby ) , only about 26 miles from you . @Bopdude ( Stockton) and myself are pretty active wild camping around and about here .

Brockwell Woods is a great place to experience wild camping in a safe environment , you have to pay but its accessible and supervised (Loosely) , a great place to spend the weekend .

To answer your last question - Bushcraft Courses: It's a bit of a minefield, there are people offering these course who really know their stuff, Ray Mears and Paul Kirtley being two obvious ones, but there are a few more. Their courses are excellent because they really, really know their stuff, but they charge accordingly. There are also other people who offer 'Introduction to Bushcraft' courses, and I'm not going to knock them, but they are often designed to appeal to city folk who don't have a clue about anything to do with the countryside, nature and bushcraft. Typically they run these courses for stag and hen parties, and kids. The quality of the instruction varies, but they are still not cheap. Mostly they are enjoyed by the people who attend them, but who usually never do it again.
Joining a local bushcraft group will usually means that you can meet other like-minded people with a similar interest, who can guide and help you, sharing whatever knowledge they have, this is a much cheaper route to the knowledge you may be seeking - and much more fun. You will also learn huge amounts just by doing it, and learrning from your own, or others, mistakes. Once you've got a feel for it, and know what more you want to learn, that is the time to look at what courses are available.

To answer your last question - Bushcraft Courses: It's a bit of a minefield, there are people offering these course who really know their stuff, Ray Mears and Paul Kirtley being two obvious ones, but there are a few more. Their courses are excellent because they really, really know their stuff, but they charge accordingly. There are also other people who offer 'Introduction to Bushcraft' courses, and I'm not going to knock them, they are often designed to appeal to city folk who don't have a clue about anything to do with the countryside, nature and bushcraft. Typically they run these courses for stag and hen parties, and kids. The quality of the instruction varies, but they are still not cheap. Mostly they are enjoyed by the people who attend them, but who usually never do it again.
Joining a local bushcraft group will usually means that you can meet other like-minded people with a similar interest, who can guide and help you, sharing whatever knowledge they have, this is a much cheaper route to the knowledge you may be seeking - and much more fun. You will also learn huge amounts just by doing it, and learrning from your own, or others, mistakes. Once you've got a feel for it, and know what more you want to learn, that is the time to look at what courses are available.
Something else to bear in mind is how much knowledge has been lost, a bit of experimentation or applying knowledge of crafts from a completely different walk of life can add to bushcraft knowledge. My other half has zero interest in camping but finds other aspects of bushcraft absolutely fascinating. She comes at it from a creative crafts perspective.
Another aspect of joining a bushcraft group is the social aspect, there is nothing like spending time with like minded people who are happy just doing their own thing and are able to let you get on and make the most of being outdoors.

Last edited:
Something else to bear in mind is how much knowledge has been lost, a bit of experimentation or applying knowledge of crafts from a completely different walk of life can add to bushcraft knowledge. My other half has zero interest in camping but finds other aspects of bushcraft absolutely fascinating. She comes at it from a creative crafts perspective.
Another aspect of joining a bushcraft group is the social aspect, there is nothing like spending time with like minded people who are happy just doing their own thing and are able to let you get on and make the most of being outdoors.
Some very good points, well made.

Hello
New here and getting back into some camping. I'm from the Northeast UK (Middlesbrough). Interests including hiking, camping and wild comping. I don’t really have much gear currently so would be grateful for some input on cost effective equipment. I have purchased some already and will post more when it all arrives and get feedback. No opposed to paying out for things that are good quality and will last with proper care.

Would be interested to maybe meet up for walks and groups. I've seen some already on here and other places so hoping to get along to them.

Curious also on people's thoughts on Bushcraft courses and if there are any ran up here in the north? I've seen some for down south.
Good morning Kari forget about bushcraft courses because we have enough knowledge and experience on this forum to teach you anything you want to know about bushcraft, wild camping and survival so keep your money in your pocket and ask the questions :welcome:

Joe

Hi all, and thank you for the hearty welcome :)
I would class myself as one of these City Folk in all honesty except maybe Ive watched to much Ray Mayers or YouTube Wild camp videos and read some related books.

As I said before im starting at pretty much the beginning. I have gone and purchased some basic items like sturdy walking-boots (on sale I never pay full price if I can help it :thumbsup:). Fire box and trangia. I have some basic clothing gear and this is where I think I would spend more many if I knew it was quality stuff. The stuff I mostly have now is older gym/ running gear (Bas layers stuff), but I do have a light weigh down coat.
If I could for some feedback I was recently looking at this mostly as I saw come good reviews recently and the set is on sale Alaska Superior 2 .

I am also a bit lost on what is a good tent. I have in my head the idea of doing tarp or poncho/ lavvu camps. But Iapreciat it migt be better to start simple and do this once I have some actuall experiance. Any suggestion on good one man tents, Backpack and possible axes?

I have purchased a craft knife more as an impulse buy more than anything else but hopefully it should be decant as a started if nothing else. nighthawk

Hi NKari and welcome to the forum. I'm based in the NW and can put you in touch with some local bushcraft groups, mostly in Yorshire, if that's your bag.
There are some members from the NE that may pick up on your post and can add to my suggestions.
If you check out the meets we have on here, next one in April, I have offered some bushcraft training and skill-sharing sessions that are all free of charge.
Cost effective gear: Depends on what you are after. Clothes, rucksacks, tent, hammock & tarps, what are you looking to get? Once we know that there are plenty of people here who can point you in the right direction.
I would very much like this. It would be good to meet others and get to know some local's who are into the same thing. Also as you say I will from seeing it done.
Hello and welcome from the North Yorkshire Coast ( Whitby ) , only about 26 miles from you . @Bopdude ( Stockton) and myself are pretty active wild camping around and about here .

Brockwell Woods is a great place to experience wild camping in a safe environment , you have to pay but its accessible and supervised (Loosely) , a great place to spend the weekend .

Oh you are close. I was over your way recently a few time. I have been scouting out places and walking in areas of interest (trying to build up some walking stamina ) so I was walking round the Hole of horcum today. Thank you for that link. I will most certainly be looking into that as a way of doing a few test runs think.

🤣 that’s it NKari, you’ve started a mega debate now. There are a lot of tarp campers on here, many of whom have a nostalgic passion for Polish lavvu/poncho tents.
If you turn up to a meet I’m sure one of the members could lend you a lavvu to try out. I’m sure the guys will also have spares of hammocks or pup tents to try out…that way you can find out what suits you. Many of the guys use bell tents when car camping or canoeing because weight isn’t an issue. The back packers tend to use hooped bivvis or ultra lightweight kit. Fast to put up and easy to pack.

Last edited:
Hi all, and thank you for the hearty welcome :)
I would class myself as one of these City Folk in all honesty except maybe Ive watched to much Ray Mayers or YouTube Wild camp videos and read some related books.

As I said before im starting at pretty much the beginning. I have gone and purchased some basic items like sturdy walking-boots (on sale I never pay full price if I can help it :thumbsup:). Fire box and trangia. I have some basic clothing gear and this is where I think I would spend more many if I knew it was quality stuff. The stuff I mostly have now is older gym/ running gear (Bas layers stuff), but I do have a light weigh down coat.
If I could for some feedback I was recently looking at this mostly as I saw come good reviews recently and the set is on sale Alaska Superior 2 .

I am also a bit lost on what is a good tent. I have in my head the idea of doing tarp or poncho/ lavvu camps. But Iapreciat it migt be better to start simple and do this once I have some actuall experiance. Any suggestion on good one man tents, Backpack and possible axes?

I have purchased a craft knife more as an impulse buy more than anything else but hopefully it should be decant as a started if nothing else. nighthawk

I would very much like this. It would be good to meet others and get to know some local's who are into the same thing. Also as you say I will from seeing it done.

Oh you are close. I was over your way recently a few time. I have been scouting out places and walking in areas of interest (trying to build up some walking stamina ) so I was walking round the Hole of horcum today. Thank you for that link. I will most certainly be looking into that as a way of doing a few test runs think.
Replying to some of your questions: About tents - well the first thing you have to decide is if you are a ground-dweller or a swinger, that is - a tent person or a hammock person. Don't look for a one-man tent, the sizes they quote are misleading. You will need a two man tent, at minimum, because you will want to get your gear into it as well. A two-man tent will just about take two people if they are very 'cozy', they are, however, ideal for one person and their gear. Most modern tents are made from synthetic material, this is extremely waterproof but is also very prone to condensation. So if you go for one of these tents make sure it is a double layer tent - that is, an inner tent inside a waterproof fly-sheet. Vango make some good quality tents that are reasonably priced and will last. I have one that I have been using for about 20 years and it hasn't let me down yet. If you decide you'd like to be a 'swinger' then you can't go far wrong with DD Hammocks gear. A 3x3 DD tarp and DD Frontline hammock will get you off the ground - pun half-intended.
If you are in a tent, or in any way sleeping on the ground, you will definitely need a sleep mat. Without it you will wake up frozen, even in summer. Inflatable mats such as Thermarest are very good, but they're not cheap. Look for an inflatable mat in your price range.
You will need a backpack and to start with you might want to look at ex-army equipment of about 80-90 litres. It relatively cheap and once you've worked out what you need you can move on to something more expensive and suitable to your needs. I would leave deciding on an axe until you have been to some group meets and seen what other people use, there is wide price-range and you get what you pay for.
You will need a knife, it is the most basic item of bushcraft equipment. For about £12 you can get yourself a Mora knife, ideally the Companion, they are exceptional quality for the price and will serve you well to begin with. You can choose from stainless or carbon steel, carbon steel takes a better edge but is susceptible to rust, which stainless isn't. Don't get a folding knife.
I will let other people answer some of your other questions and add to what I have said.
You should definitely touch base with people local to you and try to get out with them. Maybe start with a day trip to their camp, to see what they are using and get some idea of what you will need for an overnight stay.

Good point about choosing a two man tent as a minimum if you want to store kit inside Paul N. Having camped with bivvi bag and basha I use a dry-bag for any kit that needs to remain dry and let the other stuff get wet. I then use the dry bag as a pillow. This is probably not for everyone.

Good point about choosing a two man tent as a minimum if you want to store kit inside Paul N. Having camped with bivvi bag and basha I use a dry-bag for any kit that needs to remain dry and let the other stuff get wet. I then use the dry bag as a pillow. This is probably not for everyone.
You made me realise that I'd forgotten something important to say: It very much depends on what you are doing! My days of yomping many miles over the open moor are probably behind me but when I was doing it I travelled light. A small one-man canvas 'coffin' was fine to sleep in and I'd cover my backpack with my poncho if there was rain theatening. Alternatively a bivvi bag and light tarp supported by my walking poles.
I am making the assumption (possibly wrongly) that NKari will want to go on one of the bushcraft group meets and stay for a couple of nights, chewing the fat with other people around the campfire, in which case a bit more comfort and convenience would be useful. In this case a two-man tent , or tarp and hammock, would be the way to go, plus some extra gear. For a more semi-permanent camp, such as when we come to your gaff for 5 nights, then it's a 4m bell tent with a stove in it. As I said at the start, it all depends on what you are doing as to the right gear to use.
NKari says that she has watched a lot of Ray Mears videos, I am a big fan too, but she may be falling into the same trap that I did for a short while. You see a picturesque shot of Ray yomping across open countryside with a large bergan on his back. Then he arrives at his campsite and sets up his tarp and hammock, all fine so far. Then he demonstates the right way to use an axe, or make some willow bark cordage in a big pot, or cooks in a Dutch oven over a griddle - how the hell did he get all that in his bergan? Short answer is - he didn't. He is with a film crew and a load of other people. He did not carry all that stuff in on his back!
The lesson to be learned is that when you go yomping and camp overnight you travel light, as I'm sure @Madriverrob will attest. If you are camping with a bushcraft group for the weekend some of the larger, heavier gear (axes, saws, cooking pots etc) can be used as communal equipment, plus you won't have to carry your gear far, so weight and size are less important. Go to a semi-permanent campsite and live out of the back of a car - size, weight and quantity are not an issue.
P.S. If you go to a bushcraft group camp @NKari remember to also take a little chair. Sitting on a log gets a bit uncomfortable after about an hour!

Back