• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New and learning North East UK

No I never did get round to booking. one. As you mention the process can be high and while I might still try to get to one at some time, I feel i agree with you and Paul. I have been reading a few boos recently and playing about with some simple things (feather sticks, and some ties for taps ect) from them. The two I have for now are SAS Survival Guide and Bush craft 101. Both or Amazon

I haven't been doing much outdoors recently due to work and also trying to get some vegetables and such started for this year and making some ground suitable for planting ect.

I think I would like to get to that level when I can pick up my bag and just build a little shelter and relax but, I'm not there yet. and I very much do like to take anything I learn and do it in a way that usually fits me, mistakes and all. However I will be doing some more glamping trips also when the occasion calls for it. I will be attending one of the local meets if I can get my shifts to fall right and learn form those who are happy to share. But I am more solitary and will be looking to do things solo or with very small groups or just me and another.

Thanks of for you comments and Ill definitely be posting here when I do some more trips or progress a bit more. Im getting a few bits when I can afford d it also and my latest (bit of an impulse by was an axe) may need some sharpening though as it was from a store.

What axe did you get ? A lanksy puck keeps my axe nice and sharp as @Bopdude will attest :whistle:

No I never did get round to booking. one. As you mention the process can be high and while I might still try to get to one at some time, I feel i agree with you and Paul. I have been reading a few boos recently and playing about with some simple things (feather sticks, and some ties for taps ect) from them. The two I have for now are SAS Survival Guide and Bush craft 101. Both or Amazon

I haven't been doing much outdoors recently due to work and also trying to get some vegetables and such started for this year and making some ground suitable for planting ect.

I think I would like to get to that level when I can pick up my bag and just build a little shelter and relax but, I'm not there yet. and I very much do like to take anything I learn and do it in a way that usually fits me, mistakes and all. However I will be doing some more glamping trips also when the occasion calls for it. I will be attending one of the local meets if I can get my shifts to fall right and learn form those who are happy to share. But I am more solitary and will be looking to do things solo or with very small groups or just me and another.

Thanks of for you comments and Ill definitely be posting here when I do some more trips or progress a bit more. Im getting a few bits when I can afford d it also and my latest (bit of an impulse by was an axe) may need some sharpening though as it was from a store.
I was not too impressed with the SAS Survival Guide when I read it many moons ago. It does what it says on the tin - a survival guide - so to that extent it's fine. The military find themselves in survival situations and need to know how to get by until they can be rescued or walk out. I do not consider that bushcraft, though it is useful information to know. Bushcraft is not 'surviving' in a situation, it's 'thriving' in a situation. It is closer to the way indigenous people have lived throughout the world for millenia. I've never read Dave Canterbury's books but I suspect they will be more 'bushcraft' orientated. Try to get hold of some books by Ray Mears, also sign up to the newsletters and blogs that Paul Kirtley puts out regularly - both full of useful information.

Best of luck with the veg garden! Totally worthwhile.

Well the whole point is to enjoy yourself so take your time and make the most of it.

I think most of us here are solo campers tends to be the nature of the beast.

Well like you I hope to get to a meet at some point, are there any in the SW?, as its always good to put names to faces and to share and learn.

Well the whole point is to enjoy yourself so take your time and make the most of it.

I think most of us here are solo campers tends to be the nature of the beast.

Well like you I hope to get to a meet at some point, are there any in the SW?, as its always good to put names to faces and to share and learn.
If you can organise a space I’m sure some of us will turn up Gary, I believe some of the Devon guys have a local meet if you can put up with the teasing. :)

Back