• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New Avon and plastimo boats

Here's a picture of our club Rib just back from having new tubes.
They've done a nice job.
17991020_1879715175630224_3436920310476713427_n[1].jpg

It looks pretty mucg the same hull as the coastguard inshore boats Dick

I'll have to find out who made it. It's 6.2 metres long with 140HP Evinrude. Can take 10 divers and tanks at a squeeze.
Top speed with the prop we have fitted is 36 knots.
The picture is in Brixham harbour at the slipway.

I'll have to find out who made it. It's 6.2 metres long with 140HP Evinrude. Can take 10 divers and tanks at a squeeze.
Top speed with the prop we have fitted is 36 knots.
The picture is in Brixham harbour at the slipway.
It certainly looks the part Dick

It looks pretty mucg the same hull as the coastguard inshore boats Dick

Nice, I would like another rib but Kelly is set on the classic speed boat, in a good few years time it will be a cabin sport fishing boat ;)

Serviced the Johnson today, impeller was fine so it was just oil and plug then a clean and full wax. i done the popular fuel mixture mod on the engine, there is a fuel mixture issue with this model Johnson. The engine is set to run very lean due to strict U.S emissions (the Johnson is a U.S outboard) some say this is fine when used with U.S fuel but when U.K fuel is used it can lead to the engine stalling when it's put in gear thus you are constantly restarting the engine or putting it in gear while keeping the revs up but this will damage the clutch. The mixture screw is sealed behind a cap that you have to make a small hole in with a drill they pry it out, half a turn increases the fuel and air mix, the engine Now purrs like a kitten plus a little more power.

The mixture adjustment video is on YouTube. I prefer this white Johnson to the black and grey U.K outboards.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

View attachment 10079

This is the mixture screw that you have to remove the cover from:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Managed to find this, I guess defending on what state in the U.S the outboard was sold in dictated how lean the engine was set to run thus to produce the lowest possible emissions for that states regulations, This outboard was set to ultra low with a 3 star sticker and therefore ultra lean from the sticker on the outboard but now Its running on the air and fuel mix its ment to :rofl:

image.jpeg
image.png

image.png

@joe

What a little beauty waiting for some love lol, could be moved to hasting and dry docked with 365 24/7 launching access for the annual fee of £300 a year (that's 82p a day) :rofl: I just ain't got room for any more boats lol

image.png

@joe

What a little beauty waiting for some love lol, could be moved to hasting and dry docked with 365 24/7 launching access for the annual fee of £300 a year (that's 82p a day) :rofl: I just ain't got room for any more boats lol

View attachment 10086
just like the one I got rid of a couple of years ago Lee, the main difference was than mine had a 10 horsepower tohatsu 2 stroke on it

@ joe, you can't store these for me can you mate till next spring, I'm totally out of storage space :rofl:

image.png

After further reading on the outboard forums about the low emotions and lean fuel mix of the Johnson for ultra low emissions I discovered some versions of the engine were also sold 'under jetted' (a smaller carburettor jet was fitted to restrict the amount of fuel burnt thus keeping the emotions low as well as the lean mix settings I guess by the mana factors fitting a small jet you couldn't get full potential by just adjusting the mixture) so I wondered what jet was in mine. . . . I pulled the main jet and it was a 64! So I've fitted a 70 and wow what a difference! :D

image.jpeg

This is a classic joe, note how the speed boat got airborne for a second lol, their all lucky! no one was vested up either, how not to give it large for Facebook and fail :rofl:

Back