• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New Avon and plastimo boats

All looking good joe, wanna get theses done and get out fishing for the spring mackerel and some 10lb bass :D
a 10 pounder is the perfect eating size in my opinion Lee, the tidlers you buy in fishmongers these days should never be there

That's if you can find a wild one in the shops! You coming out fishing over the summer joe?

That's if you can find a wild one in the shops! You coming out fishing over the summer joe?
fishing next week mate, 5 days camping beside a carp lake, will deffo be getting some sea fishing in though. no point in having top of the range gear if you don't use it

Have a good one mate, I know what your saying about proper kit, but remember joe but cheap buy twice and i would rather have kit for my interest that won't fail me regardless of the cost ;) some activities we do in bushcraft and for me survival ain't a walk in the woods on a Sunday afternoon, I don't pitch a tent or hammock and sit by the fire all day I do like pushing the boundaries of bushcraft and survival and having a great time whilst doing so and for for me it can go wrong fast and I mean wrong and it has done a few times lol, with the right kit (and knowledge and understanding) you don't have to worry about what if, :rofl: I do spend on kit, but in our 'hobby' kit can save your life if you are into more than chilling out up the woods lol.

Have a good one mate, I know what your saying about proper kit, but remember joe but cheap buy twice and i would rather have kit for my interest that won't fail me regardless of the cost ;) some activities we do in bushcraft and for me survival ain't a walk in the woods on a Sunday afternoon, I don't pitch a tent or hammock and sit by the fire all day I do like pushing the boundaries of bushcraft and survival and having a great time whilst doing so and for for me it can go wrong fast and I mean wrong and it has done a few times lol, with the right kit (and knowledge and understanding) you don't have to worry about what if, :rofl: I do spend on kit, but in our 'hobby' kit can save your life if you are into more than chilling out up the woods lol.
Cheers mate, even cheap gear can save you in a given situation but ONLY if you know how to use it, I personally think that if you know the compass points and where the prevelant weather comes from then you should be able to survive with the minimum of gear

If you've got a silva compass yes joe but if you've got a £1.99 one from eBay that's reversed its polarity your be getting your head down and waiting for the sun to rise in the east lol, now I'm no longer a spring chicken if I'm in trouble and have not got myself out of it within 12 hours (on land, at sea I mayday immediately I'm in trouble) I will pull the tab on a PLB and await rescue lol thing is a good PLB cost £250 and its a one use item so in reality you gotta pack 2 in case of failure, and be prepared to replace them every 2 years! very very few people in the bushcraft world including every instructor I've met own a PLB but they still concider theirselves fully equipped, to me 2 PLB's is a monkey well spent ;)

Well finished both boats today at last!

Avon:

Transom filled and repainted original colour, floor repainted green, floating blue morning line. Night navigation lights. New transom engine plate, 2 x fishing rod holders, 2 x towing/lifting eyes, 2 x eye brackets, onboard kit secureing line (green platted 3mm boat cordage finished if with cobra weave) engines safety line. Royal ensign flag and modded pole ;) josh is happy :D

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Plastimo:

Floor slats and motor mount wood repainted to Ivory, transom plate added, tread plate added to rear of motor mount wood, 8 plait floating morning line, replaced side white grab lines with grey rope and run that rope around the back of the boat and through the motor mount as the mount can slid off if the boat flips and could lead to engine and mount being lost. Inboard kit secure line (plated grey paracord finished with cobra weave) separately screw tight D clip to secure outboard to boat and mount. Night navigation lights. Job done ;)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Plastimo:

Floor slats and motor mount wood repainted to Ivory, transom plate added, tread plate added to rear of motor mount wood, 8 plait floating morning line, replaced side white grab lines with grey rope and run that rope around the back of the boat and through the motor mount as the mount can slid off if the boat flips and could lead to engine and mount being lost. Inboard kit secure line (plated grey paracord finished with cobra weave) separately screw tight D clip to secure outboard to boat and mount. Night navigation lights. Job done ;)

View attachment 10385 View attachment 10386 View attachment 10387 View attachment 10388 View attachment 10389 View attachment 10390 View attachment 10391 View attachment 10392
You've done a brilliant job there Lee

Fully pimped joe and just in time for summer lol josh is itching to get out in his, were out Saturday, you know where we're be joe if you wanna pop down ;)

Well it's took a while to find josh a good larger outboard to replace the 3.5hp he was using but my luck has finally come up just in time for the summer hols after weeks of searching and viewing junk, this Mariner 8 model 677 (8hp) is now going on the Typhoon, The Mariner 8 677 was actually made by Yamaha for Mariner so it a yammy and about as good as it gets it also came with the original Yamaha fuel tank it was purchased with! It has been owned from new the senior gentleman who sold it to me is now unfortunately unable to lift it on and off his tender and has brought something smaller, The engine was fully overhauled last year, compression is good on both cylinders it's had new carburettor, cables, linkage etc.. etc.. it's fully serviced up and pumps water like a jet washer :rofl: it has the spare original prop shear pins in the engine bay (a good sign the engine hasn't been abused always look for this on a used outboard) all that's needed is to fully wax and grease (water protected) the whole engine and grease the external moving parts , I shall whip out the plugs and check the gaps and that it job done, I'm pretty sure a Yamaha high thrust prop will go on giving a good few more knots, this motor will tow a wake board and inflatable rings for some summer fun and get out a few km for deep sea fishing in any tides safely and quickly, going on YouTube GPS speed videos top speed 1-2 up should be around 25-30kph :oopsy::eek::D

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

That's a very nice motor Lee and certainly more than capable of doing what you ask of it

A good engine joe, and very quite for a twin cylinder two stroke, I'm now on a new hunt. . . . For the smallest lightest backup engine, I'm thinking Suzuki DT2 there's a good few around but I would love to find an old air cooled penta ;) they do come up I guess I should wait for one really but a back up is need asap as josh will be going right out with new outboard and I'm not following him out there in the flipper lol I will be on board the typhoon :D

Josh will be happy 30kph and that's on a 3 meter plus boat by the looks of it lol, were be down our usual spot soon joe, I will give you a call, come out for a spin and catch some bass you old sea dog lol

You can go on the surf board joe :rofl:

A good engine joe, and very quite for a twin cylinder two stroke, I'm now on a new hunt. . . . For the smallest lightest backup engine, I'm thinking Suzuki DT2 there's a good few around but I would love to find an old air cooled penta ;) they do come up I guess I should wait for one really but a back up is need asap as josh will be going right out with new outboard and I'm not following him out there in the flipper lol I will be on board the typhoon :D
Mate you stand a better chance of finding a penta 500 or maybe hens teeth

I think so.
My last boat had an 8 hp tohatsu 2 stroke on it Lee and that was a 16 foot semi displacement hull but that motor would easily push it along at 6 to 8 knots so your little boat will happily pur along a good bit faster than that with a two and a half on the back

Back