• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New Avon and plastimo boats

Well that was easy joe lol got a DT2 ;) brought it as a pulling over non runner, first thing I done was changed the fuel pulled and clean the plug hoping to get lucky but nothing so I dumped some fuel down the hole again nothing. . . . next step was to check ht live to up to the plug. . . Nothing so I guess it's a new coil or prob a magneto in this model, might still get lucky could be the ht lead or faulty kill button, I guess I will now go fully over it and refurbish the carb, check compression, new impelor and check gear box so than at least I know it can get us out of trouble if it has to, better to rebuild this little one than buy something running that I won't get round to fully checking ;) I wonder who made this outboard, was it Suzuki or someone else for Suzuki? . . Soon find out it looks like a Tohatsu to me lol. . . off to the Suzuki forums!

image.jpeg

Well went fully over the little Suzuki and it's a faulty coil pack the engine is very clean under the cover so well worth keeping. . . . coil pack ordered ;)

image.jpeg

Well went fully over the little Suzuki and it's a faulty coil pack the engine is very clean under the cover so well worth keeping. . . . coil pack ordered ;)

View attachment 10772
That's a good find Lee, if you get those little suzis running properly they are a very reliable engine as are the tohatsus so even if it been made under licence you cant go far wrong

I just can't resist any opportunity to restore anything worth saving lol

Would you believe it, my luck has come up twice lol, another mint Japanese Yamaha built mariner lol I didn't get round to stopping my outboard alerts on all the selling sites and this popped up yesterday afternoon. . . . 15hp Japanese Yamaha built mariner, one owner, full service history and about 30hrs use, runs nice, pumps lots of water and plenty of power lol. Just what I will need when josh upgrades his boat which I think will now be asap. Gonna be a good one next week trying these outboards out fishing ;)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That's a nice clean looking engine Lee, possibly only used in fresh water because even after 30 hours you'd usually find a small amount of salt marking if it had been used in the sea

That's a nice clean looking engine Lee, possibly only used in fresh water because even after 30 hours you'd usually find a small amount of salt marking if it had been used in the sea

Fooling around with the new mariner 15 and the Suzuki has cost me a whole day today joe so we're a day late for camping :mad: I fitted the new coil on the Suzuki but then had to strip and re set the carb from the last owners messing around! The mariner 15 stearing and transom tilt were all bunked up with 20yr old dry grease and we're stuck fast rather than take the powerhead off to clean the steering colum gunk away I forced surgical spirit then wd40 when oil and finally new grease in the grease nipples and stealing tensioner with high pressure air what a drama, then I removed the whole transom bracket/mount stripped it down and re greased all the rubbers so all working very smooth now, I can turn the tiller with my little finger and put the engine on tilt easily.

The Suzuki is now running fine ;) now where are the fishing poles lol. . . .

image.jpeg

I do but I'm thinking I might have to let it go, got a outboard collection going on right now lol

Josh is into it and keen to help and learning fast when I'm working on them his going to buy a few non runners when the boot sales stop over the winter then fix them over the winter and sell them in the spring outboard fever now he knows a nice 2hp will fetch £200 and a 8hp £700 lol ;)

Josh is into it and keen to help and learning fast when I'm working on them his going to buy a few non runners when the boot sales stop over the winter then fix them over the winter and sell them in the spring outboard fever now he knows a nice 2hp will fetch £200 and a 8hp £700 lol ;)
Good for him Lee, he's got a good teacher

Good for him Lee, he's got a good teacher

Kelly is already going off her head with 3 outboards having been stripped in the kitchen, carburettors soaking in the washing up bowls and WD40 everywhere :oopsy::rolleyes: Josh wants to also go into breaking the engines for parts and have all the parts stored in crates labelled ready for shipping worldwide once he knew an engine breaks for many times it's worth whole, he will be breaking perfect engines :eek: not much going on in the winter it will keep him busy and well worth the engineering, electrical and mechanical knowledge he will gain!

Kelly is already going off her head with 3 outboards having been stripped in the kitchen, carburettors soaking in the washing up bowls and WD40 everywhere :oopsy::rolleyes: Josh wants to also go into breaking the engines for parts and have all the parts stored in crates labelled ready for shipping worldwide once he knew an engine breaks for many times it's worth whole, he will be breaking perfect engines :eek: not much going on in the winter it will keep him busy and well worth the engineering, electrical and mechanical knowledge he will gain!
Yep I can imagine what your kitchen table looks like Lee, as for Josh breaking down engines well why not, one mans junk can be a goldmine for somebody else

Josh has just sold the Avon he advertised it when we got back and it sold in 20 mins :D with 5 other people on hold for it while the buyer got here! We spent some money on the Avon but Josh still turned a little proffit. But the knoledge he gained fixing up that old Avon was priceless ;) I made the right choice getting josh a wood slat floor boat to start of his boating because that's where I started all those years ago and I wanted him to experience that, Josh loved the Avon planning (my heart was in my mouth :rofl:) so now I gotta find him a slightly bigger boat with air keel and full wood or allimunimum floor (for real planning) while he's on holiday for a week :eek:

Josh has just sold the Avon he advertised it when we got back and it sold in 20 mins :D with 5 other people on hold for it while the buyer got here! We spent some money on the Avon but Josh still turned a little proffit. But the knoledge he gained fixing up that old Avon was priceless ;) I made the right choice getting josh a wood slat floor boat to start of his boating because that's where I started all those years ago and I wanted him to experience that, Josh loved the Avon planning (my heart was in my mouth :rofl:) so now I gotta find him a slightly bigger boat with air keel and full wood or allimunimum floor (for real planning) while he's on holiday for a week :eek:
He's got the right head on his shoulders Lee

I'm surprised he let it go, but I guess he knows what's gonna replace it lol, gotta say I'm not sorry to see it go :rofl:

Now I'm on the hunt again lol

I'm surprised he let it go, but I guess he knows what's gonna replace it lol, gotta say I'm not sorry to see it go :rofl:

Now I'm on the hunt again lol
I know it was a lot of work for you mate but profit is profit and his ability to see that at his age can only be a good thing, later on it will be bikes and cars

Back