• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New Avon and plastimo boats

I know it was a lot of work for you mate but profit is profit and his ability to see that at his age can only be a good thing, later on it will be bikes and cars

We gonna do our best to keep him away from bikes joe and hopefully the boats will keep him away from the ongoing teen moped trend, if it comes to it we're gonna be firm on the mopeds and say NO mopeds end of!

I've told him his next boat is gonna a whole different experience and we won't be upgrading it as I will give him the speed boat keys when his 16 (then kelly and I will get a 2 berth fishing boat :D)

I've had a good look round for a used air keel boat just now and not there's really much any good joe, I need to find one asap as we're going away again when josh gets back from camp and I'm not getting into another project! I'm minded to get a new 2.6 Bison with air deck and keel I would rather have a solid floor than an air deck as I've had them before and if the air deck punctures your off the plane but I guess its easy enough to repair on the beach with 2 part epoxy that dries in 10 minutes plus an air deck is a lot lighter when a solid floor, he wanted a air v floor but if the either side of the floor punctures your in real trouble and can only hope to limp back to shore, he also asked me about the Honda honwave planning tabs that the v floor has and I explained to him their a good idea but they inflate on the same chamber as the v floor chamber and and when your dragging the boat ashore the tabs take all the weight and often puncture ;)

I like the Bison as they have moved with the times. . . no other maker includes a front anchor mount and holder and I like the tough fuel tank mat at the rear near near the engine to sit and strap the fuel tank on and I like the way the seat can be moved (neither Avon nor Honda have included such good features and don't move with the times) it's ok having the fuel tank strapped in the middle or the front of the boat but the fuel lines gets kicked and with the boat motion if the tank is less than half full the fuel feed is not constant, and I like the colour ;)

If I don't find anything used it will be a new Bison air deck:
image.jpeg

expensive yes but if I wanted a small 2 berth cruiser Lee i'd definitely go for a shetland

With regard to the forthcoming retirement boat for Kelly and I joe, whatever we get its gonna be limited by size and more importantly weight as there is only dry berth on a trailer at my club yard and to launch we have to tow via a vehicle (or walk the boat on the trailer) from the dry berth to the shore line (about 100 meters max) launching is what it is there and is direct from the trailer down fixed rollers to the water, recovery is easy via the fixed shore winch straight back onto the trailer not ideal but the location is good ;)

After looking for a used boat for Josh a decisions been made to get a new 2.7 air rib Bison ;)

The current beach launching set up joe:

image.png

Modding plans already in motion for the Bison joe lol, a removable bow storage unit at the bow the front compartment can hold the anchor and line plus grab bag with flares etc. . .and the rear I will fit a fixed 25watt VHF and GPS with a sealed 12v battery pack to run the VHS, GPS, the standard navigation light and a high power light bar (after bill has reviewed his lol :oopsy:) this will save the headache of using the current system of the pelican case for flares and portable lights etc and the anchor bag for the anchor and line that we have to lug in and out of the boat and remove when we leave the boat out of our sight, I will also fit fishing rod holders and towing eyes ;) we will of course still carry a handheld VHF and flares on our jackets ;)

image.jpeg

@ joe I'm thinking about getting a small sailing boat, josh will soon be doing his sailing courses and I've always fancied sailing do you have any knowledge joe? I'm thing about small something like this. . . .

image.png

Whilst Josh is deciding wether to get a Bison boat or the Honwave air rib (the hunt for a walker bay folding transom rib continues) I got him this little package today to use in the mean time and to restore and pimp up. . . . he will be so happy :rofl::rofl:

The boat is in good condition just needs a clean and some light refurb and then pimping for fishing use.

The outboard is the same, running and pumping water well, will service it and replace the missing engine hood clips.

Kelly and I will take the boat and outboard with us next week on our fishing holiday whilst josh is away, just to test it out of course :D but I will take my 8hp with me though ;)

RSM 265 boat and Johnson 3.3hp two stroke outboard:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    32.4 KB · Views: 300
Fitted new engine fiver clips to and fitted a new kill cord cut out switch so when josh falls out the engine will cut out ;)
Also sourced a Execel sd290 (air keel and deck) to use for the the rest of the season :D will chuck on the 8hp but will probable end up using the 15 ;)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

@ joe I'm thinking about getting a small sailing boat, josh will soon be doing his sailing courses and I've always fancied sailing do you have any knowledge joe? I'm thing about small something like this. . . .

View attachment 10837
I've done some sailing Lee but on much bigger boats up in the Baltic around the Danish islands. That little boat should handle like a dream and with a bit of practice you'll be able to turn it on a five pence piece make sure the reefing ties on the sail are in good condition

Do fancy a little sailing boat and that small size should fit in my marina lot as well if I get a smallish speed boat, josh is going to start sailing with the cadets soon so if he likes it we will get one. We're out boating and fishing tomo till after the bank hols ;)

Picked up a Suzuki outboard with tiller throttle for josh as he don't like the slider throttle on the Johnson and I can see what he's saying, so the Johnson is the little lightweight spare for now.

He's still got to finish his boat then he can start the new excel lol

Josh was up and in the garden at 8am this morning cutting tread plate he wanted his boat pimped for this weeks fishing holiday and its now all done. . . Re roped, new rear transom plate, towing eyes, fishing rod holders and kit securing eyes nice job :D

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bloody hell Lee, your gonna need your own marina, with all these boats and outboards your buying :thumbsup::D

Just 2 boats at the mo , josh buys them pimps them and uses them for a while and then sells them as for outboards their my collection and no comment lol

Back from more camping as the school hols are over so back to weekend camping now till half term with some spare weekday evening time on our hands weve finished the RSM and started the Excel restoration ;)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Well josh wants his RSM boat camo painted so my first camo boat job cumming up Wednesday ;)

I was looking forward to camo painting the RSM however josh has sold it and replaced it with a v floor air rib that he does NOT want camo painted :eek::D

image.jpeg

Back