• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New boots (again)

Woodlander

Very Addicted
Hi all just bought myself a pair of new boots as the trespass finley I bought 4 months ago are naffed already! So I got myself a pair of YDS Kestrel grade 1 issue patrol boots, in the hopes they will last at least a year of everyday wear. Anyone else had any experience with these? Or have I just again, wasted £25 on rubbish?

There nice mate :D I had a pair of desert kestrel. I took them everywhere and never cleaned them lol I got 2 year out of mine.....could have got longer but I forgot I left them at the side of the shed. No sunlight and in all weathers :eek:

If there anything like the desert boots then your on to a winner

For £25 I'd be happy if they only lasted 6 months....basically once they start leaking it's time for a new pair. Even £300 pound boots only last me a couple of years before they wear out...when you look at it in that way your boots work out quite reasonably priced even if you go through 3 or 4 pairs in that time.

My impression is that the quality of boots becomes worse and worse.

My original HAIX german Army boots got the first hole inside in the back after 6 month of regular use. Ok, I walk 20 km every day. But....

I think the last good boots of german production are Meindl Perfekt, perhaps Trabert boots would be an option.

I got some Geiger Bernina last days and will try them next time.

The Austrian Steinkogler are surely good too.

Slowly it becomes difficult to buy shoes.

Part of the problem with buying army surplus boots is that a lot of the manufacturers sub contract out to get the quantity required of their designs produced. The altberg and Meindl boots supplied through the quarter master are generally not as good as the same boot design purchased from the manufacturer.

Also “issue” boots do not have to last as long as you get a new pair every time you go away or when the soles wear out the boots are binned, not resoled.

As a final point having had to carry out foot inspections on infantry soldiers there’s no way I’d be taking the chance of buying some of their old boots!

Back