• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New boots

Altberg currently have a discount on Velt-hog boots bringing down to a midges tidger over £200 but there is also a 16 week wait.

I have a pair of Peter Storm boots which are good on very rough terrain due to having a fairly stiff sole and a pair of Karimore mountain boots which are like a pair of slippers on your feet

German army infantry boots
"Bundeswehr Kampfstiefel"
produced by HAIX 160 € new.

They are 100% water tight.
There is NO MEMBRANE like Gore-Tex in.
I use them untill 20*C.
If it is warmer, I prefere lower boots or shoes.

(It isn't worth to replace the sole. It is a throw away article. But it works very well in its life time, around 5000 km perhaps.)

WP_20171210_15_13_53_Pro.jpg

Marching on streets is no problem.

The soles are relatively soft.

German army mountain troops use an other Haix model.

Last edited:
German army infantry boots
"Bundeswehr Kampfstiefel"
produced by HAIX 160 € new.

They are 100% water tight.
There is NO MEMBRANE like Gore-Tex in.
I use them untill 20*C.
If it is warmer, I prefere lower boots or shoes.

(It isn't worth to replace the sole. It is a throw away article. But it works very well in its life time, around 5000 km perhaps.)

View attachment 13506

Am not really big on military boot but they do look nice erbswurst

Just to throw another thought into the melting pot :)

I have a pair of these boots which I wear mainly for hunting but have used them for extended periods at meets.
Extremely comfortable and for what they are......not a bad price at all.
Very good quality leather nice and supple if looked after:thumbsup:
No water gets in.........unless you go over the top of the boot.

Jahtijakt Extreme Condition Boots | Walking & Stalking Boots | Gun Mart

Steinkogler in Austria produces 3 different Army boots.
"Schwer" is "heavy" that is for the mountains.
"Leicht" is "light", let's call them "normal".
And a subtropic Zone boot.

And they offer incredible many civil models.
Here you can find traditional models.

They tailor on your mesures too.

Geiger in Frittlingen is only tailoring on your mesures, if you visit him in his Village.
That is next to the black forest in south western Germany.

Meindl Badile is looking very good, it is for hill walking and flat country.
Inside not 100% Leather, but very well constructed.

They offer mountain boots too. Meindl Perfekt is the traditional top model, but really heavy.

Trabert, Hanwag and Völkl are producing civil mountain boots in Germany.

Last edited:
If you look for traditional made german or austrian leather boots, you have to look for the word "zwiegenäht", that means double stiched.
This boots are made how it was usual 100 years ago. The only difference are the rubber soles instead of nails in the soles.

Boots like this cost between 250 to 350 €, but they will last for decades if you tread them well. Every master in Europe is able to repair them.

So in long terms they are cheaper than the modern ones.

I’m not a fan of buying used boots as they bed into the users foot and that might be different to yours.

If eBay is the route you take then I’d recommend buying new insoles so they become your boots.

I’m not a fan of buying used boots as they bed into the users foot and that might be different to yours.

If eBay is the route you take then I’d recommend buying new insoles so they become your boots.

Good point mate thanks :thumbsup:

Yes, absolutely, I made insoles for winter from an insulated roll mat for mine.
I know that buying used boots can be risky but the wide fitting option worked for me with my bunions. :)
A review from Woolys World here:

Back