• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New Bushcraft Buddy

Woodlander

Very Addicted
Aquired a new friend today, a little fella to keep me company on my adventures. Meet Jonny 😀

IMG-20180721-WA0010.jpg

A small run approx 36x24x18 inches tall raised up with a close mesh floor and a nice nest box stuffed with dead leaves and dry grass (hay not straw) to curl up in with an enterence hole just a little bigger than his head. This in a nice draft free dry spot. Some dry sand spread beneath the run will soak up urine and poo, this will need to be changed as often as you can. Being a hobb he will always smell a little musky but they like to be kept clean groomed and handled a lot...personally I don't work polecat hobbs with rabbits though they make fantastic pets. I have a strong preference for working nice small white jills if I can find them. I don't breed my own.
Any fresh lean meat fed in small amounts is ideal, remove any that is left over as soon as the ferret stops eating what you give it. Constant access to fresh water, no milk. The more you handle a ferret the quicker it will bond to you, they're super friendly if they have been treated well from the start..take liberties or be careless shutting it in and it will be gone first chance it gets.
This is all for general information, I wouldn't dream of commenting on how someone else looks after their pet ferret.....that's just how I do it.

Find a nice rabbit warren then put him to work, depending on what you catch rabbit livers are the perfect food for him, are you going to tether him at night?

got nets, where I will be stopping has a massive warren behind the woods and I know the land owner and should not have much difficulty in gaining permission from him. Got a transporting box for him to sleep in but then in the day will have him on the harness and a long lead for him to wander a bit 😊

got nets, where I will be stopping has a massive warren behind the woods and I know the land owner and should not have much difficulty in gaining permission from him. Got a transporting box for him to sleep in but then in the day will have him on the harness and a long lead for him to wander a bit 😊
That's a great way for him mate

Is it good meat? Comes winter and times get hard he could end up in a pot ;)
I have eaten some stuff over the years, including badger and hedgehog ( I did not kill or cook them myself, I was served them and did not know what they were till afterwards) but I don't fancy ferret, and definitely not little Jonny! 😉

So you should Mark, they're sensitive souls who don't deal well with such unfair criticism :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl:
Lesson learned sir:D if you could...give them a little pat on the back side and apologise from me;) :rofl:

Back