• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New bushcraft buddy

Woodlander

Very Addicted
I cannot wait for April when my new Bushcraft buddy will be born. Her name is going to be Luna, her mum is called Aleu. I'm getting a German shepherd pup for my crimbo/birthday present combined! 🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂 does anyone remember the littlest hobo? Well the main character was played by London, and hopefully my little bundle of fur will have the same colouration 🤞🤞this is her mum to be Aleu.
IMG_7843_JPG.jpg
Her dad will be an outsourced stud of the same colouring, but I have none of his details.
Roll on the next 7 months !

Hi Jon

You're in for a treat mate. Shepherd dogs make absolutely wonderful bush dogs and are a perfect addition to any family. My wife and I couldnt imagine living without The Boy. Shepherds are so devoted to their family.

On the bush side of things, I have never met a critter as useful in the bush, even among the more common outback and working dog breeds. The combination of intelligence, judgement spatial awareness, self discipline and agility is unbeatable. The Boy is a working line animal and was initially bred for the Police. He has three younger half brothers serving in the Territory Police (half our dog squad) but is temperamentally totally different to them.

The Boy stays away from snakes and crocs, knows his way through the bush and can travel fast cross country. He is a first class tracker and knows what has happened in any particular area overnight from the scent. That is why our morning patrols are so valuable. On the trail he takes point unless we are a large group. He knows when the 'picture' looks right or if it looks wrong, and knows how to communicate that to his human. Shepherds are great protection dogs, but probably less useful if you plan to hunt.

The only real downside (for us and him) is that the breed is not well suited to the tropics. But that won't be an issue for you.

Gotta say Aleu looks beautiful. I envy you having the pup.

Cheers

Alan

Last edited:
Hi Jon

You're in for a treat mate. Shepherd dogs make absolutely wonderful bush dogs and are a perfect addition to any family. My wife and I couldnt imagine living without The Boy. Shepherds are so devoted to their family.

On the bush side of things, I have never met a critter as useful in the bush, even among the more common outback and working dog breeds. The combination of intelligence, judgement spatial awareness, self discipline and agility is unbeatable. The Boy is a working line animal and was initially bred for the Police. He has three younger half brothers serving in the Territory Police (half our dog squad) but is temperamentally totally different to them.

The Boy stays away from snakes and crocs, knows his way through the bush and can travel fast cross country. He is a first class tracker and knows what has happened in any particular area overnight from the scent. That is why our morning patrols are so valuable. On the trail he takes point unless we are a large group. He knows when the 'picture' looks right or if it looks wrong, and knows how to communicate that to his human. Shepherds are great protection dogs, but probably less useful if you plan to hunt.

The only real downside (for us and him) is that the breed is not well suited to the tropics. But that won't be an issue for you.

Cheers

Alan

Shitbags would not last a day in the Bush Alan, he is a working hunting retrieving dog, and would get tagged by a snake in quick time! He also loves to swim, so Crock food as well.

He is always sticking his nose where it’s not wanted! 😳

Mike

Hi Jon

Cheers

Alan
Thanks for that info Alan, I'm even more excited now! It will be nice to have a buddy out with me as I'm mainly a soloist, not through choice, just don't know anyone in my area that likes the outdoors. I did have a lovely camp buddy back in 2008, lost him in 2012. Sam my Malinois, he was awesome, and everything you were saying about your Boy, reminds me of him.😪 I can only hope that Luna will be happy to come out with me, and not end up like the missus dog. He's a naughty, grumpy and lazy cocker spaniel whose only goal in life is to eat. 🤣

Thanks for that info Alan, I'm even more excited now! It will be nice to have a buddy out with me as I'm mainly a soloist, not through choice, just don't know anyone in my area that likes the outdoors. I did have a lovely camp buddy back in 2008, lost him in 2012. Sam my Malinois, he was awesome, and everything you were saying about your Boy, reminds me of him.😪 I can only hope that Luna will be happy to come out with me, and not end up like the missus dog. He's a naughty, grumpy and lazy cocker spaniel whose only goal in life is to eat. 🤣

How true! My friends have no idea why I camp, Bushcraft, fish, shoot, beat, shite in a hole and hike………..Bloody townies! 🤷😂

Jon

From what you have said Luna is going to be your perfect bush buddy. Have you already decided on a girl? A strong trait I notice in The Boy is how much he loves my wife even though he spends more time with me. I'm pleased for this because he makes a fine guardian.

Somebody once told me that females dogs bond closer to men and vice versa. So a girl may be your best bet if you go bush solo. I expect Sam would have been wonderful too, but there is a calmness and measure to a Shepherd that makes it unbeatable. You have to live with your best mate 24/7 not just camping.

Be excited Jon. Be very excited! I really envy you those wonderful first weeks of fluffball- then years of companionship unconditional love, service and laughter.

Alan

Hi folks, bit of an update on this.
Sadly Luna won't be happening due to a change in the breeders circumstances 😔
Buuuut..........
I am still getting a bitch next year, but a German Short Haired Pointer is the breed I am hoping to get, depends what I can find available at the time, but from what I have read about the breed, they are one of the best outdoor companions in the UK.

Jon

From what you have said Luna is going to be your perfect bush buddy. Have you already decided on a girl? A strong trait I notice in The Boy is how much he loves my wife even though he spends more time with me. I'm pleased for this because he makes a fine guardian.

Somebody once told me that females dogs bond closer to men and vice versa. So a girl may be your best bet if you go bush solo. I expect Sam would have been wonderful too, but there is a calmness and measure to a Shepherd that makes it unbeatable. You have to live with your best mate 24/7 not just camping.

Be excited Jon. Be very excited! I really envy you those wonderful first weeks of fluffball- then years of companionship unconditional love, service and laughter.

Alan

The Boss has decided on a girl, she already has a male cocker spaniel, so I can choose the pup as long as its a female. Unfortunately it won't be a GSD as you have so highly spoken of, but I will have a lifetime companion of some sort next year. I'm hoping on a particular breed, but at the current moment all I can say is it will be canine and female.

The Boss has decided on a girl, she already has a male cocker spaniel, so I can choose the pup as long as its a female. Unfortunately it won't be a GSD as you have so highly spoken of, but I will have a lifetime companion of some sort next year. I'm hoping on a particular breed, but at the current moment all I can say is it will be canine and female.
I think you’re being wise Jono, as Alan mentioned a bitch is more likely to bond to you and it reduces potential conflict bringing a new dog into your home if there is already a dog there. The downside is the cost of neutering at some point a couple of years down the line or putting up with her going into season and getting mopey once in a while.

I think you’re being wise Jono, as Alan mentioned a bitch is more likely to bond to you and it reduces potential conflict bringing a new dog into your home if there is already a dog there. The downside is the cost of neutering at some point a couple of years down the line or putting up with her going into season and getting mopey once in a while.
Oh I'm already planning on whatever breed getting her spayed. Not interested in breeding, plus from what I've been researching apparently if you aren't going to breed a dam, it's better for her health to get her spayed?

Oh I'm already planning on whatever breed getting her spayed. Not interested in breeding, plus from what I've been researching apparently if you aren't going to breed a dam, it's better for her health to get her spayed?
As long as you leave it long enough, they recommend leaving large breeds intact until they’re around two so they’re fully developed. The only reason that we had Skye done at 18 months was that he was starting with teenage stroppiness. No joke in a 55kilo dog

As long as you leave it long enough, they recommend leaving large breeds intact until they’re around two so they’re fully developed
I hadn't read that anywhere, thanks for the info Mike, I'm glad you said that

Back