• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

new camp knife

sapper

Quite Talkative
This is my new camp knife:)

sapper 1.jpg

It's being made for me by a mate of mine ,Bernie Garland,and should be with me some time in the next couple of weeks.
The finished knife will have a blade length of 255mm,a width of 50mm and a thickness of 6mm.It's a heavy blade.
The reason I wanted such a large heavy blade was this:-
After years of using all sorts of tools in the woods ranging from little axes to big ones,small knives of every design and size out there,large knives and all types of saw, I came to the conclusion that all the wood working I do can be done with a large heavy blade.
Nearly all my wood working consists of shelter building,chopping trees and saplings for firewood and building materials and that's about it.I also use a machete for ground clearance.
I don't do any carving so I don,t use a small carving knife,I do use a knife for food prep,but most of what I cook is roughly cut meat for stew or big pieces of meat to be grilled or roasted.I can do all this with a big blade.Lets face it I'm not a cordon bleue cook but it is good food.

I used to use an axe but could never get the hang of them and found them difficult to pack safely out of sight,a large knife will fit inside my pack where it can't be seen.

When the knife arrives it's first job will be to help me build a shelter for the weekend in a woodland near me.When it comes I'll put up some pictures.

Attachments

• sapper 1.jpg
    sapper 1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 156
Looks great, bet it will look well smart in a leather sheath and a nice bit of wood on on the handle.
I also like a nice heavy knife you can let the weight of it do the work for you.
Can't wait to see the finished product.

Nice one Chris, looks a hefty thing, ready for some good chopping :)

You still got the A2?

I see a bit of a scramseax in the design - looks interesting.

I also like a camp knife or a leuku over a smaller woodlore clone type thing which seems more common these days

Back