• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New Frame/Bucksaw

Sharpfinger

Slightly Addicted
Aye Up,

I’ve posted this here but if those with the power think it should be a part of 130 Year Old Saw I assume they can move it.

Spookily, just after I had posted 130 Year Old Saw, I received a mail promoting a frame/bucksaw with a difference - a modern take on it.

The frame is made of aluminium and the tension mechanism is by way of a threaded bar a la some of the ‘old school’ frame saws.
The cross brace, tension bar and a pair of blades store inside the handles and are secured using the tensioning knurled nobs.

At first glance it seems a bit flimsy compared to the wood framed saws but once assembled becomes reasonably sturdy.
I’ve yet to discover if it keeps adequate tension in use.

The blades look cheap (not sure about the stop studs?) and I think they missed a trick re the connection between the two handle halves when the saw is packed down but at 14 quid! mustn’t grumble. 😄

(I’ll also have to sort out the battle rattle for carriage when it’s packed down!)

The stats are as follows -
285 grams
Length packed 412mm
Diameter 25mm
Blade length 35 cms

Cadet Direct if anyone feels the need.

868350FF-083F-41C2-83A3-CA3677492460.jpeg
2C5BA924-2A6D-4687-8061-56002B3BBC64.jpeg

Can’t say that I ’needed’ it Bopdude but I like trying new stuff out.
My concern re this saw is that if the tension eases and there is movement at those blade studs it might not take long to wear the slots in the handle. I think a close eye will be needed on it.

It might lend itself better as an infrequent use/What-If? Option in an emergency kit as opposed to regular hard use.
Testing and time will tell. 🤔

Back