• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

New Head Torch

Bam

Extremely Addicted
I had some Amazon vouchers burning a hole in my online pocket and as my previous 'best' head torch was playing up (and it wasn't that great anyway) I thought I'd take a punt on one of these.

Head Torch Rechargeable, 2000 Lumen Head Torches LED Super Bright XML-L2 Beams/Removeable Headlamp/Stepless Dimmable/ 6 Modes/Waterproof Headlight for Camping Fishing Hiking: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I'm far from an expert on these things but WOW ! It arrived this afty and I had a wee play (as you do) and was planning on taking it out for a proper evening dug walk tomorrow. It looked bright enough in daylight and was very comfy on the napper. Just in from a wee trip out to the shed..... its VERY bright, possibly too bright to use for just chilling by the campfire when you only need enough light to locate your beverage of choice but if you're walking into our out of somewhere and need your hands free, this is pretty bloody good. You can either 'one out, one in' with an 18650 battery or use a charging cable, the charging point on the torch is well hidden under an threaded end so waterproof. Being the big kid I am, I couldn't wait until tomorrow to share my boyish enthusiasm.

Anyone else tried them ????

EDIT TO ADD - I've just figured out how to 'turn the light down' so it would be fine for that beverage hunt. All in all, the modes are quite simple and you don't need to worry about cycling through a load of them. Another plus for me.

Not that model, but I've got one from beyond the Great Wall... Cheap...sums me up :D I wanted one that was minimal modes, I didn't want to have to press the button 19 times to turn it off. This one has just 3 modes but as you say Bam they're really bright, even on low setting. I might doctor my one with removal lens cap with a red filter..otherwise it could melt my tarp..... :lol:

Not that model, but I've got one from beyond the Great Wall... Cheap...sums me up :D I wanted one that was minimal modes, I didn't want to have to press the button 19 times to turn it off. This one has just 3 modes but as you say Bam they're really bright, even on low setting. I might doctor my one with removal lens cap with a red filter..otherwise it could melt my tarp..... :lol:

I hear ya on the multi mode stuff, I like a simple on/off. I've managed to source some cheap Cree's (all the way from China) that work that way. Keep one in different jacket pockets so I always have one to hand. The 14500 batteries cost more than the torches but make a big difference over an AA.

My better half uses one while reading in bed but the dimmer control snapped off
Many are not dimmable but I found this and bought a couple and they seem to be a copy of the LED Lenser original that we had and seem to work well.

That looks good for the price Paul, if I wasn't being a good boy I'd have to get a couple.

Not used any of those myself, I have a Petzl tikka plus 2. Head torches are handy things, don't know how I managed before I had mine!
15776165325591146670970.jpg

Reactions: Bam
This is the Chinese copy of one of those mega expensive dual role torches. Fits on a head band or can be used with a pocket clip. 18650 rechargeable battery via a USB connector (supplied) Seems well made in Aluminium, not as lightweight as some but the 3 modes are all I felt I needed.
Low, which is bright anyway, High, which is fearsome and strobe which I suppose could be handy in a help..here I am situation.
£10..waited 3 weeks for delivery. :thumbsup:

P1050509.jpg

P1050510.jpg

Attachments

• P1050509.jpg
    P1050509.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 18
  • P1050510.jpg
    P1050510.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Bam
Rechargeable is the way to go, mine runs on AAA batteries need to buy some and a charger.

I’ve had a Petz tactikka for work which has been trodden on one to many times and needs replacing after about 15 years.

Part of me believes I still need a tactikka to live in my webbing but most of me knows I don’t and something cheaper will suffice.

I’ve had a Petz tactikka for work which has been trodden on one to many times and needs replacing after about 15 years.

Part of me believes I still need a tactikka to live in my webbing but most of me knows I don’t and something cheaper will suffice.

I would never have gone out and bought one, it was gifted me by a friend. He works for the fire and rescue service and it was getting chucked out when they upgraded their kit. They are great but as you say they are pricey

I would never have gone out and bought one, it was gifted me by a friend. He works for the fire and rescue service and it was getting chucked out when they upgraded their kit. They are great but as you say they are pricey
Given the use and abuse mines had I’d say they are worth the money.

Back